Topic

Kick stand for touring

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Kick stand for touring

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

I am going to be doing a little tour later in June and am thinking it might be time for a kick stand. I will have perhaps 20 lbs loaded on the bike spread among a seat bag, frame bag, and handle bar bag and it is getting to be a real pain finding trees and other vertical objects to lean the bike against while I load and unload. Any recommendations? Thx!

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Run some guyline around the top tube and then down to the ground on each side, use tent stakes to stake it in on each side.

I’ve never done this, but it seems like it should work, be exceptionally light, and give double duty to a couple of your tent stakes. If you try it, let me know how it works out! :-)

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

I now use this:

http://www.click-stand.com

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Hi Miguel, been awhile

Not to be confused with    http://www.clikstand.com

Miguel Arboleda
    BPL Member

@butuki

Locale: Kanto Plain, Japan

Good to see you again!

Yes, please don’t confuse the two. Might be an interesting experiment to stand your bicycle up with a titanium stove!

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Locale: Fremantle

I would probably go with a Click Stand if this is for causal use, otherwise it would be handy to know the bike details and if your thinking is towards a single legged stand (e.g., mounts on the rear triangle( or a dual leg stand which mounts just behind the seat tube.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Doug. This is a bit too complex for me although light.

@ Miguel. The Click Stand. Can’t beat the price or the low weight with the added advantage that when I do not need it, there is no need to have it on the bike. Looks like the shop is currently closed. :-(

@Andrew
    . This is for casual use, meaning I just have one 3 night tour planned any time soon. Since I have not had a kick stand on my last two bikes, my thinking is more than a little uninformed hence my query to the BPL forum.  My wife gets by on her bike with the single legged stand but she has a somewhat lighter load. The bike is nothing special, a German made Ghost Speedline “hybrid” with Aluminum frame from REI that I use for commuting and getting around town.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

Keeping in mind Bruce that I am coming from a ‘heavy” touring perspective where my touring bike is a Surly Long Haul Trucker. On my Surly I have a Hebie Bipod and I will not be removing this anytime soon. It just works for me on this bike. Great for on the side of the road maintenance, pannier access, water access etc.

However, with my bikepacking bike, a Salsa Mukluk and a move to “ultralight” bikepacking/touring I am not planning to bother with a kickstand at this stage. The bike will either find a “tree” or lay down on the ground. I took the same approach with my old Giant XTC 2 which also saw off-road touring duties and I survived okay :).  However if I find this more frustrating than I expect I would give the Click-stand or similar a shot and this is what I would do in your situation as well. Relatively low cost, simple, lightweight solution. If you were thinking more long time then a Greenfield Stabilizer rear mount kickstand would be on my short list.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The double/bipod style kick stands are the way to go. A spring to keep the front wheel from flopping around is helpful too. http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/vo-wheel-stabilizer.html

I also use a “parking brake,” which is a simple ring of shock cord that holds the brake lever with enough tension to keep the bike from rolling.

Andrew Priest
    BPL Member

@aushiker1

This has popped up at Gear Junkie … It is called the Pelephant and is a pedal with built in stand.

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Interesting design. Wellgo makes some too. These benefit from my parking brake concept. Bipod stands keep the bike upright a and double as repair stands.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools