Topic

Katadyn BeFree

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Barry K
    Spectator

@barrykyler

Have not seen any Katadyn BeFree bottles out on the JMT this Summer and early Fall so wanted to share my experience with it.  Awesome for trail running and back packing in the Eastern Sierra. Filter is built into the cap. No more carrying the Mini Sawyer to filter water.  The stock 0.6L soft flask is too large for our Salomon running vest (or UD) pockets. Same with the bottle pockets I had made for our Zimmerbuilt back packs.  Thankfully Katadyn sells the filter cap separately for $25 (REI). Hydrapak sells a 600 ml soft flask (back packs) for $21 and a 450 ml soft flask (running vests) for $19 (REI). The filter cap mates to the soft flasks perfectly. No more delay in filtering water. Scoop and go within seconds = more time moving on the trails. Enjoy!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
    Marcello
    BPL Member

@alvisim1

Locale: Chester Springs PA....Near King Of Prussia

Hello,I also used the Be Free just last weekend for the first time. I love it !

I usually use their Pro Hiker model. It’s great ,but very heavy and  bulky and high maintenance. Wish It was available before I bought the Pro Hiker . Thsnks for your post

Nathan Watts
    BPL Member

@7sport

I use a pair of Inov-8 500ml soft flasks with long straws in a Solomon running vest.   I cut the straws and inserted sawyer quick disconnects in-line (female side attached to the flask side and male end attached to the bite valve end).

I installed a sawyer thread-to-barb adapter onto a befree filter. To the barb I attached a short piece of tubing with the male end of a sawyer QD.

When I need to refill, I simply scoop with the BeFree flask, detach the bite valve from the flask in my running pack and connect the befree hose stub.  I squeeze water from the befree flask into the running pack flask and then replace the bite valve section when it’s full.

This way I never have to remove a soft flask from my chest pockets and then try to fight to get it stuffed back in.  All this can be done on the move without ever stopping.

Drinking from a separate flask than the befree also allows me to mix powders etc.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools