Topic

Juki DDL-8700 Motor Upgrade Help

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Juki DDL-8700 Motor Upgrade Help

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Trying here before I go join a commercial sewing forum. I just scored a great price on a lightly used DDL-8700 but I would like to upgrade the clutch motor to a brushless servo. Can anyone on here offer any suggestions or can tell me which motor theirs might have on it? So far I’m strongly cosidering the SewQuiet 6000.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Possibly more up my alley than any question that’s ever been asked on this forum! I have done this upgrade once. I bought this one and it’s worked well for me:
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Industrial-Sewing-Machine-Servo-Family-Motor-FESM-55ON-CSM550-NEW-3-4-HP/112344275819?hash=item1a283d9b6b:g:xtgAAOxykMpTGhTt

All my other machines came with servos already, and they are either the same motor or very similar-looking knockoffs.

The SewQuiet does look nice. More torque can be helpful when you want to sew through thick material at low speeds. Our machines occasionally bog down when going through really thick stuff. But in that case you just run the hand wheel for a stitch or two, it’s not a huge deal. One of these days I’ll experiment with more expensive motors, or needle positioners and the like. But the cheap motors work just fine.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, Nick! I was strongly considering the motor you linked but was leaning towards a brushless. Do you have any brushless? If so, any comments on how dramatic the difference is? Lastly, how much control does that motor provide? Can you do very slow/ single stitches with it without it going berserk?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

We don’t have any brushless motors so I can’t compare. I *did* get the chance to use a brushless motor with a needle positioning sensor at my local industrial machine dealer and it was pretty cool. Definitely easier to hit precise stop points than I expected.

It’s a bit tricky to go slow on our machines, but not awful. Judging by tapping my finger to a timer here at home, I’d guess it’s pretty easy to modulate down to 2 stitches per second or so – going much slower than that gets tough. And hard to start the machine at that speed since it would be low on torque.

For single stitches (like when coming up to a corner and wanting to hit it precisely) we always use the handwheel. Once you get used to feathering the gas pedal to make the handwheel move easily, it becomes second nature pretty quickly.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Thanks, Nick. I’ll keep stewing on it and maybe I’ll get lucky on a holiday deal on the SewQuiet, although unlikely…

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools