Topic

John Abela from Hikelighter.com passed away

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion John Abela from Hikelighter.com passed away

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    wayne R Clark
    BPL Member

@waynowski

For those that followed John’s blog, his sister just posted on his facebook page that he passed away.  she didnt say what happened.

I’ve followed John for years.. he did a nice blog.  he helped in the development of ultralight gear

Michael Schwartz
    BPL Member

@greenwalk

Locale: PA & Ireland

Sad news. Thanks for posting, Wayne.

John also helped to develop the ultralight community. RIP

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

For you newbies to Backpacking Light, check out John’s web site and you get a glimpse of what this man has given to the backpacking community.

https://hikelighter.com/

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

To bad, UL travel has lost a huge believer. Pleasant Dreams John!

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

That is terrible news, John was definitely an early leader in the community.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I am quite sorry as well. John was indeed quite the innovator and steward of UL gear and techniques. He was very generous with his advice, and I found him to be a nice guy when I communicated with him personally.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

What Alex said and then some!

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

( Off-topic: this morning I deleted an earlier post in this thread that violated forum guidelines. Please keep your posts respectful here and use the thread to remember John in a positive light. – Thanks )

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

John passed away November 13 at the age of 45. Life is such a gift, and John leaving us at such a young age is a reminder to me to be grateful for this community, how we’ve helped each other, and what John gave to us.

John and I didn’t always see eye to eye on things but I appreciated his passion for ultralight backpacking, his willingness to help others, and the unique personality he brought to his video content.

He taught me a lot about alcohol stoves and was eager to ship samples to me so I could test them and then allow me to bombard him with questions about how they worked. I’ve never been an alcohol stove expert but with John’s willingness to educate me about them I at least have a working knowledge now. I’m very grateful for that.

John left an important legacy to our community and we are poorer without him. RIP, John.

Ron D
    BPL Member

@dillonr

Locale: Colorado

I enjoyed John’s posts here and on his website, I’ll miss him.  RIP

Ron

Jeremy A. W
    BPL Member

@jwerlin

Oh man, what a shock.

John was a man of great passion and strong opinions. A unique personality in the BPL community. In my own correspondence with him he was always exceedingly generous with his time, knowledge, and encouragement. Rest in peace John.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

R.I.P. John Abela

Very nice words by Ryan Jordan.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Rest in Peace  – well, maybe.

I’m betting he’s on cool, sweet trails, with a pack that weighs nothing, and eating gourmet grub.

Carry On Big Guy!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I’m shocked to hear of his passing. I’ve known John for years and have been on quite a few trips with him. He was a good person I considered a friend. Sad indeed.

His passing and the return of being able to edit one’s posts here are strangely close together. {moderator note: update on post edit-time-limitation conspiracy here}

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

John Abela(on right) and Ken Thompson, organizers of the 6th GGG

Ken and John

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

John was a one of a kind.   I’m sorry to hear of this.

Safe travels John.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

What? This is sad news indeed. Way too soon. I have gone on a few trips with John several years ago but have not kept in touch. How sad.

Ron Bell / MLD
    BPL Member

@mountainlaureldesigns

Locale: USA

John always thought outside the box and had interesting ideas, plus he did the work to test them himself! He will be missed. RIP John.

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I saw this mentioned on Reddit a few days ago and is such terrible news to hear. I knew John well in terms of being an “internet friend” (a.k.a. one who you never meet, but often communicate with) and it really does feel like just the other day we were debating the merits over slots in backpacking tables or something similar that no other humans would bother discussing…he was also one of our sponsored hikers, and worked with me to develop various products, including the A-pod (a.k.a. Abela-Pod). I enjoyed his openness when testing products, and graciously contributing to the ultralight community. He will be missed and my thoughts are with his family. RIP.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I didn’t know John but read his blog and knew he was a UL pioneer.

At my “advanced age” his passing at 45 makes me even more grateful for all the years I’ve been given to enjoy the outdoors in every season.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

Wow, so sad.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

That is very sad news.  I recently was referred to his website and spent quite a bit of time reading through his reviews and words of wisdom. He will be missed but I hope is website will be preserved so we can benefit from his passion for all things ultralight.

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

I conversed with John many times over the years via email and discussions on this very website.  I am incredibly shocked to hear of his passing.  Condolences to his family and friends.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Wow. Sad to hear.

Could always count on his objective evaluations of gear. Cant say i knew him, but had a couple online interactions with him, and read many of his reviews and trip reports.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools