Topic

Joby owners: have you attached your GorillaPod to three trekking poles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Joby owners: have you attached your GorillaPod to three trekking poles?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Has anyone attached each leg of their Joby GorillaPod to a separate trekking pole handle, then splayed out the poles to form a tall tripod? Does this setup have a high “fiddle” factor, and does it seem reasonably stable? If you’ve also used a TrailPix, how would you compare the stability of the TrailPix with three trekking poles versus the Joby with three trekking poles? FYI, this is for use of a pocket camera, often at ISO 100, small apertures and at magic hour (low light) with self timer.

I’m torn between a TrailPix and the Joby. While the versatility and next-to-ground abilities of the Joby are attractive, the TrailPix is obviously the best choice for taller support. Plus the TrailPix with three trekking poles may be more stable than the Joby wrapped around three trekking poles (just a guess).

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I have a couple Joby tripods and just received my trail pix today.  I’ve never tried attaching my Gorilla Pods to my trekking poles but I can give it a shot.  Were you thinking about lashing it to the poles or did you have something else in mind?

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Seems like the legs of the Joby could be wrapped around the handles of trekking poles, then the poles could be bent into a tripod position, using the Joby as the connecting point for the three poles. In essence, this would be using a Joby to function just like a TrailPix – as an attachment mechanism for three poles underneath, and a ball head for the camera on top. The main concern is stability – is a TrailPix with three trekking poles more stable than a Joby used in the same way?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools