Topic

Jeff Garmire Starts FKT Attempt on Colorado Trail Today

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Speed Hiking and Fastpacking Jeff Garmire Starts FKT Attempt on Colorado Trail Today

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies
    Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

best of luck!

that’s a fair bit of calories to carry, but avoids the  hassle of food drops

John Vance
    BPL Member

@servingko

Locale: Intermountain West

Is carrying all food from the beginning  a first for the Colorado trail?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Excellent. I really enjoyed Jeff’s podcast after his Long Trail FKT last year. I can’t wait for his post CT FKT podcast. I hope he says more about gear and food choices though. I liked the idea of the big number of frozen burritos he packed. Jeff said he had semi-hallucinations on the LT, so I’m thinking with the higher altitude and longer distances of the CT he might go into a full blown altered state.

Good luck Jeff!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

This guy is legit NUTS!! I love him!!! Currently reading his book and really enjoyed his podcast episode on Hiking Thru. Amazing what he has done and I have no doubts that he will continue to amaze and inspire not only myself, but everyone who follows him and knows him.  I am looking forward to hearing more about this!

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

@ John Vance

No.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

As of about 9:20 PM local time (Jeff started at 6:30 AM this morning), Jeff passed Blackhawk Mt and is about 51 miles in.

His plan is to get about 4-5 hours of sleep each night, so we’re expecting him to roll for another hour and a half maybe. This is when his pack is heaviest, it’s about 30 pounds today.

He’s already rolled through the biggest climb of the trail (> 4k). Easy peasy from here ;)

His goal is to finish in 9 days, which means an average of about 54 miles/day. So to have completed mileage like this with the heaviest pack on the hardest section has to be a good morale boost for him. Hopefully his head and body and feet are doing ok, he’s off to a fantastic start.

Of course as with any FKT, the moment you leave the trailhead is the moment decay starts, and these things can go off the rails at any time.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

As of about 8pm US Mountain tonight, Jeff is about 95 miles in. He had a pretty slow stretch as he started up Elk Creek today and then turned on the afterburners and he seems to have had a pretty strong evening. He’s certainly ahead of an FKT pace right now, but ya know, it’s early.

But we are rootin’ for you, Legend.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

That DJI Osmo Pocket camera seems super cool. One thing left out of his food list is the Charlie Sheen Tiger Blood.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Jeff crossed Spring Creek Pass a little while ago and as of about 4:15 Mountain Time (~2d 8h 45m), is around 135 miles in. He suffered a bit in the high elevations of the San Juans. Altitude and storms/cold took a bit of a toll. Today he’s reportedly looking strong and he’ll start a substantial descent soon.

He’s ahead of an FKT pace, and has two huge things going for him right now: he started with a very light pack and that’s only getting lighter; and the San Juans are behind him.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

At Spring Creek Pass (photo: Elisabeth Tizekker) –

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ryan- I didn’t see a link for his tracking; you have one you can post

Danke

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

@mtwarden – Jeff’s team asked me not to post the tracking link publicly. They’re trying to prevent people/press from intercepting him at road crossings, etc., so he can just focus on his hike.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Ahhh- no probleeemo- thanks

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Is he doing the traditional “East” leg of the CT?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

@greg23 – yep, Collegiate East.

Song
    BPL Member

@songsta

Looking forward to following along

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

As of 8pm tonite, Jeff is 189 miles in (39% complete) after about 3d 13h 30m which puts him on track to finish in just over 9 days at the current pace. He had a pretty good day today considering that it was another bad weather day up high, with cold temps – 30s and precip up there.

Of course, it’s early still, and the body will continue to decay.

But he’s got a pack that’s now about 8 lbs lighter than when he started. And the hardest stuff is behind him. And the weather outlook is terrific for the next several days.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

I’m about 40 miles northeast and the weather for tonight isn’t encouraging.

I wish him well.

Joseph P
    BPL Member

@josephcpratt

Incredible effort, I wish him well! Regarding his gear: bear bag? Bear spray? I assume the bleach drops are for water purification, is there a particular brand? Why the Spot Gen3 vs the Garmin InReach Mini? What shoes/boots? Any details would be great!! Thanks…

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

As of 5:40 PM tonight, Jeff was at mile 284 or so, in the northern Collegiate Peaks, after 5d 11h 50m. Extrapolated finish time is thus around 9.3d, which means he’s still on a strong pace for the FKT.

Mark E
    BPL Member

@mepley

Godspeed Jeff. Watching closely. Thinking you often. Thanks for your inspiration.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

As of 9:30 this evening, Jeff has 139 miles to go. He is at 6d 15h right now which puts him on pace to finish at about 9d 8h, a little more than 4h ahead of the FKT pace.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Wow- good on him!

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I am not into the whole FKT thing, in particular because I believe that two more categories should be added.  That is, instead of a distinction between supported and unsupported there should also be a hiking/fastpacking and trail running categories for each.  Granted it’s a toll on the mind and body, I’m just not impressed by those who make miles by sleeping/resting less instead of actually moving faster.  I mean, there is nothing athletic about sleep deprivation.  Then again, there is something to say about the sheer will to succeed.

I hope that Jeff makes it.  If anything just because he is not wearing short shorts, is using two trekking poles, and his pack has a hip belt.  He is definitely making a statement here.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools