Topic

It's Back: The Natural World Forum

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire The Natural World It's Back: The Natural World Forum

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I’m glad to bring this forum back! It was probably my favorite forum from BPL-pre-Nov15. Here’s my first post to it. (thx @here for the push).

I’m probably most inspired by rock. Granite, sandstone, limestone, I’m enamored by it all. I suppose it comes from entering the “natural world” from a mountaineering background.

Here’s a pic from the closest “high alpine granite” to my home, Wyoming’s Snowy Mountains. I’m grateful for the minimal (35 minute) drive from my house to this view, which offers some of my favorite things in the natural world: sky, rock, water, and wildflowers.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Thank you Ryan!

That photo has a beautiful composition.

I am fascinated by rocks as well. From studying horticulture and soil science I learned enough for me to want to know more. One basic bit is that boulders, cobbles, pebbles, gravel, sand, silt and clay are just definitions of size. Clay is the most fascinating to me; so small and flat with a big surface to volume ratio that is has a (negative) charge which is how and why Calcium and Potassium ( and other cations)  stick to it. The polarity of water also makes it stick to clay, which explains what clay does to soil and why we get it stuck on our boots . Really cool stuff :)

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Awesome forum :-) Thank you!

A week ago I found out about the Frost Flower and got some photos of it. Frost formations on some of the stems are 12″ in length. Since I got the photo, the weather has been too warm to see if they will occur again on the same plant stems.

https://www.google.com/search?q=frost+flowers&rlz=1C1CHZL_enUS721US721&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjC7auen5vYAhWpl-AKHcPDB74Q_AUICigB&biw=1245&bih=556&dpr=1.1

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gorgeous photo, Ryan!

Also, interesting to learn about how clay works and that frost flowers are a thing. This topic delivers!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thanks for bringing this back.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

Nice shot of Medicine Bow Peak.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Dan, I was wondering why you showed pictures of a feather, when I realized…

Andy Goldsworthy does stuff with natural materials that then break down in the environment. But really, we see natural formations that rival art, or surpass it, and sometimes only last until the morning sun strikes, or a season–or for aeons.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

It was amazing to see the curvature of the ice formation. I was there at the right time. A couple hours later they were gone. Have not had freezing temps since then to witness the little miracles again.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Great to see this forum back.

Here is a GREAT TED talk about how forest ecosystems exchange information by a Canadian scientist
    <p class=”p2″><span class=”s2″>https://www.ted.com/talks/suzanne_simard_how_trees_talk_to_each_other/up-next</span></p>
    Watch it and learn something new.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Glad to see it back. Thanks Ethan for having the idea.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Also: The Hidden Life of Trees is a remarkable book that also details the sophisticated forms of communication that trees use between themselves in a forest. Who knew? Lots of other tree related stuff as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools