Topic

It’s Alive! BackpackingJargon.com

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web It’s Alive! BackpackingJargon.com

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

BackpackingJargon.com, my long-term passion project, is finally online.

Nearly 600 entries with simple descriptions of unusual backpacking words, acronyms, and phrases. Designed for American backpackers unfamiliar with some expressions. These are not comprehensive definitions.

See the web site to suggest additions or corrections.

— Rex

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Thanks!  now I don’t have to use Urban Dictionary (ha ha)!  Thanks for the link, it is suprising how many terms / words I didn’t know.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Nice! Get it out into social media and make it *the* dictionary of choice.

You didn’t really define through hike. Too bad because you could settle many debates if your definition became the standard. I think of it as completing a named trail, end to end. But what length? And can you stay in a hostel? Can you slack pack? But I suppose that is the debate taking place (regrettably?) in group camps all over (when they could be discussing the beauty, the nature, the satisfaction). I find it bizarrely fascinating that many people want to enforce “rules” on outdoor hiking, as if it’s a chess game. HYOH is as well followed in the hiking community as “thou shalt not kill” is followed by Christians. When people start these debates in camp, I get up and leave.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

You could also add “pulling the trigger” as a term for online shopping for hikers. Not sure why a violent action with a weapon is used in lieu of making a purchase, but I guess that’s capitalism! But I see it all over these forums. Is it just BPL or a hiking community thing?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Added pull the trigger and other suggestions. Tried to avoid many controversies, like fully defining thru-hiking. Social media push coming RSN.

Thanks for the kind comments. HTH.

— Rex :-)

Ray J
    BPL Member

@rhjanes

I’d add “Trowel”.  You have “Potty Trowel”, which I’ve never heard.  Heard lots of “Trowel/Trowel’s”.

Bonzo
    BPL Member

@bon-zo

Locale: Virgo Supercluster

Should be a fun read; thanks!

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Continuing to update backpackingjargon.com as suggestions come in or inspiration strikes. Recent additions include:
    Kula cloth
    Menstrual cup
    OP
    PBC
    Pee cloth
    Piezo igniter
    PRD

Tell your friends, and enjoy!

— Rex

Rob
    BPL Member

@grubbster

One of the ones I enjoy that I don’t see is “snot rocket”.

Mark L
    BPL Member

@apexmark

I contributed “No-See-Um” since I saw other pests in there but not that.

Where I grew up we used that term all the time. Cause we got bit by them all the time.

It’s also used to describe tent mesh netting (“no-see-um netting,” e.g. https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/noseeum-mesh-1), though I neglected to link to any of those descriptions in my submission.

I’m wondering if it’s an Eastern or Appalachian term. It’s ubiquitous where I’m from but I have heard some people in my travels ask “what the heck is a no-see-um?”

I see blackflies listed. I’m not sure how far down that road you want to go, but the more feared flying things where I’m from are horseflies. (And worse yet of course are yellowjackets, which make me carry baking soda into the backcountry)

Mark

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Our no see ums are often white Sox instead of black flies. But in Alaska we’re lucky enough to have both! As well as horseflies, deer flies, yellow jackets and white faced hornets. You want fear and loathing, step on a ground nest of white faced hornets. Bring Benadryl- the baking soda is useless.

Mark L
    BPL Member

@apexmark

“Although the white-faced hornet is a member of the same species of wasp as the yellow jacket, they are by far more aggressive.” lol

That’s saying something, given our yellow jackets will go after you if you just look at them funny.

I brought up a size comparison – yikes!

Though those hornets look like babies next to our Cicadia Killers. Which, luckily, don’t attack. But the first time I moved to NC and saw these little helicopters flying toward me with their paralyzed prey held beneath them like an Army giant lift helicopter, I wondered if I hadn’t strayed into the Land of the Lost. (I wasn’t going to post this because it’s off-topic, but then I saw the thread subject again – It’s Alive! – and realized it’s relevant :)

Steve M
    BPL Member

@steve-2

Locale: Eastern Washington

Here’s two more  (CX hiking terms):

Highway Tree Path:   A fallen tree that allows one-way travel (single track) above the underbrush.

Freeway Tree Path:  (More rare)  Same as above…but allows 2-way travel (double track) above the underbrush.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

Are you making this up?  This is crazy.  Anyone else heard of these terms?

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

Jon, do you have any skyhooks in stock for the ultralight smoke shifter I ordered?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Some backpacking jargon is regional, trail-specific, or specialty-specific – hello hangers! I’ve learned a lot putting this together. No doubt almost everyone will find expressions they have not read or heard before.

Currently at 628 full entries and climbing. My editing neurons are getting a workout.

Keep the suggestions coming; see the website for instructions.

— Rex

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“Is it just BPL or a hiking community thing?” (re: pulling the trigger)

Neither, it’s a well-known phrase, at least where I grew up. Been hearing/using it for decades, well before I got into backpacking. It’s even the title of a 2009 romance novel.

DriCamp
    BPL Member

@dricamp-2

Locale: California & Arizona Desert

This is great, Rex, thanks! You’ve cleared up some landscape-description terms for me that I was never quite sure their precise meaning.

Eric Kammerer
    BPL Member

@erickammerer

Litesmith has a Trail Lingo page you could check against: https://www.litesmith.com/trail-lingo/

Eric Kammerer
    BPL Member

@erickammerer

headwall

noun
    The highest cliff of a glacial cirque.
    The steep cliff at the back of a cirque.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Comments on the Litesmith Trail Lingo page versus Backpacking Jargon:

– Never saw this until mentioned just above
    – About half as many but longer entries
    – Different editorial approach
    – Found or inspired several new entries, many “Why didn’t I remember that?”

We seem to have used the same sources for some entries. I rewrote (and rewrote …) everything for clarity. But there are only so many ways to say something clearly and accurately in a few words.

Thanks for the link.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I won’t be promoting Backpacking Jargon on social media.

“If you are not paying for it, you’re not the customer; you’re the product being sold.”

Please tell your friends about BackpackingJargon.com without using social media. Text messages, phonemails, live telephone calls, and face-to-face conversations still work, even if they are out of style. I’ve heard rumors the Post Office delivers something besides junk mail and bills, but have no first-hand experience in this century :-)

Thanks.

— Rex

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

NCT  –  NORTH COUNTRY TRAIL

https://northcountrytrail.org/

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Lots of updates to backpackingjargon.com, currently at 723 entries and growing.

Please send additions or corrections using the instructions on the web site.

Thanks.

— Rex

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

827 entries now in backpackingjargon.com.

See the web site to send corrections or additions.

Thanks.

— Rex

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools