Topic

Items with down stuck at Customs??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Items with down stuck at Customs??

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Anyone else had problems with down filled items purchased abroad? I bought two items from reputable seller in Germany, certified to be mite free and all that good stuff. Has been stuck in New York with Customs for two weeks. No further information, no way for me to find out. Just the crappy USPS tracking that tells me it is still there. On the phone they were able to tell me it is with customs but nothing else. Grrrr. I have had a number of great things stolen from me by customs. Merry Christmas to them I guess.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Yeah, they probably needed it more than you : )

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

This was actually our Christmas present to ourselves and something we could really use. I stayed up many nights and sewed many weekends to set the money aside. Yeah.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Hopefully it’ll show up

Does the seller guarantee shipment?  It would still be a delay though

I’ve had cheap electronics from China take several weeks

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I called the seller and asked them to initiate the inquiry. We’ll see. Customs has a reputation for keeping items well beyond those that have issues. There is very little recourse if they keep something.

Michael F
    BPL Member

@gearu

They’re so worried somebody might receive some drugs like it’s the end of the world…it’ll turn up, just wait for them to be finished being drug war warriors and they’ll send it to you

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

When I was getting regular parcels from the US, once or twice a year they would take a week or two to clear at custom. It was because of extra time they spent checking all items. Maybe it is something similar to that.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

One thing not in your favor is that this is the Christmas shopping season, so I imagine the parcel load is heavier than usual, even for customs.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

@Franco and Doug,

I hope you are right. If it is just a matter of waiting,  I will be happy, eventually ;)

The thought of never receiving this really bothers me but maybe I am just overly worried here.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

No rushing customs. I am watching the tracking of a package that the USPS has moved 125 miles in three days. Status still says delivery today, lol.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

I have sent packages that cleared customs in a day, and some that took much longer. One package spent 3 weeks in Australian customs for no apparent reason. Another one was shipped to Germany, made it to within an hour of the customer’s house, then took a detour to Brazil and back.

I guess what I’m trying to say is, the gods of international shipping work in mysterious and convoluted ways. Good luck.

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

You’ll get your stuff eventually. Around this time of year, it takes a lot longer. I think it took 6 weeks for me to receive a pack I ordered from the UK a couple years ago.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

An update!

“The package is delayed and will not be delivered by the expected delivery date. An updated delivery date will be provided when available. Your item arrived at our SAN FRANCISCO CA NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER destination facility on December 18, 2017 at 2:20 pm. The item is currently in transit to the destination.”

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

OK.

Delayed is not good. “We have your package” acknowledgement is  good. Be happy for small gifts.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Oh I am happy about this update. I knew it was delayed since I was slated to get it December 10th. Hearing anything about it is good news and knowing it made it to San Francisco is great news :)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

USPS is definitely having issues this holiday season. Everything has taken longer than usual. Hang in there.

Kathy H
    Spectator

@kjhikes-2

I had electronic items sent from China, be stuck in customs for 3 weeks, and have heard similar stories from other people, so I think this is a somewhat common occurence, unfortunately.  Hoping you get it very soon!

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I am getting it tomorrow!!!

I will take pictures of the goodies soon after.

What I worried was that down and feathers were somehow on a list that I had not looked into prior to ordering. I figured the “nomite” certification was enough but one never knows .

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Well they are here… and before Christmas too :)

This relates a bit to my “ old timey, nostalgic gear” thread, except it’s not gear..

When I was growing up we slept under just a huge down and feather comforter, known as “ballonbett”. It’s like a big  pillow where the material can be moved around as one pleases. If it’s warm you can shake it all to the bottom and if it’s cold you can distribute it where you need it most. No top sheet, just a comforter cover you wash as often as you like. Oh yeah, each person gets one and here they are folded sideways, or else the bed looks even weirder. Not too fond of the pattern on the covers but they are good quality and feel great and they were on sale :)

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools