Topic

Is under 10 possible? Pls scrutinize this packlist

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Is under 10 possible? Pls scrutinize this packlist

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Locale: East Bay

Here I go…

https://lighterpack.com/r/6ecrpv

Any and all comments appreciated.  This has been a very useful forum for me. Thank you all so much for your contributions and help.

729-V-01  itinerary 7

Brian H
    Spectator

@bthaberberger

Great seeing all the Zpacks stuff!  We had quite a bit of it in our 617-t1 crew.  4 tents, 3 packs,  two quilts  and a ton of stuff sacks.  U Have some great ul gear.   Have a great trek!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Impressive pack list…well done!

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Very impressive list.

I just rolled up my thermarest sit pad, put a rubber band around it and used it for my sleeping pillow.

I see a lot of zrest cuben fiber gear but no CF repair tape.

Not sure why you would need a sewing kit or a roll of duct tape.  For repairs at Philmont on the trail, IMO as shared crew gear you just need patches for inflatable pads, and if you are using tent poles, a pole repair sleeve and perhaps 4 inches of duct tape.

David P
    BPL Member

@david-paradis

Hi Grimaldi- Nice lobstah there Cap’n! I’m a Mainer myself, my mom is from Camden ayuh. It looks like you’ve got it really dialed in and we use some similar gear! (Zpacks pillow case but with inflatable,  dirty girls, Zapacks kilt…) At this point you’re really shaving ounces, but if you can shave 2oz eight times, there goes a pound… after scrutiny of your list I only have a few suggestions that won’t take you below 10 lbs but… Also I left out suggestions for bigger, costlier items like tent/tarp, sleeping bag etc… sometimes another set of eyes helps but plz take my suggestions with a grain of salt!

1- fleece hoody – thermal weight Patagonia hoody in L is 8oz  (3.8 oz savings)

2- is it possible  to UN-trick out some weight off of the Arc Haul?  Webbing, straps, extras?  The 40L pack I use for around 15-25lbs total pack weight weighs 26oz.

3 – possibility a slightly lighter sleep top? My lightweight capilene long sleeve is 3.3 oz , short sleeve is 2.9  (1.5-2oz savings)

H4- can you reduce the individual FAK from 5.6oz? Maybe not if you’re in a group setting… in mine I have gauze, non adherent dressing, hypafix, KT tape, ibu, Tylenol, Benadryl, cold n flu, Vaseline, alchohol wipes, tweezers, it’s 2.6 oz (2-3oz savings)

5- I’m sorry I don’t know what TJB is, but I noticed pee bottle, I usually use one in the winter, is it a convenience thing so as not to wake fellow campers zipping in and out of the tent at night? For me in winter it’s just so at -15F I don’t freeze my future generations off… :)

6- pad inflation and extra batteries total 3.4 ozs. Could u do without? Or maybe use a schnozzel(or similar) and elimate a Drybag and/or stuff sacks?

7- wasn’t sure whether you can modify Crew Gear due to the setting, can you use a lighter stove? I use Esbit stove (.5 oz) and each tab weighs .5 oz but maybe you want the extra umph to cook for lots of people? I usually only boil a couple cups of water at a time and don’t mind if it takes a couple minutes longer, usually enthralled by the surroundings making the boil time seem quicker anyway… (possible 7.75oz savings)

8- in PSR trimmed out gear, do you need the summit pack and solar charger? Almost half a pound for both of those…  Also you probably a reason for this but there is a redundant pair of rain pants in there if you already have a kilt or vice versus.

bonus points for bringing Old Bay, my wife is from Maryland where they use a ton of that on crabs and such! I usually bring a little Himalayan sea salt and some high calorie Homemade Spicy peanut sauce…

Good luck finalizing your pack, maybe you can drop another pound, pound and a half! Hope you have a great trip!

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Locale: Mid Tenn

I see some redundancy and un-necessary items. But what’s
    TJB, Ranger beads with micro biner, Mount Phillips Patches, Cosmic Wimpout and a Poo kit? I’m not familiar with these terms.

Why do you need a Wallet, ID, CC, Eyeglass cleaning kit, Pee bottle, Survival Matches, Highlighter, Sharpie set for mapping, Work Gloves and Ice packs?

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Guys,  thank you all so much.  It has given me a bunch to think about.  I really appreciate all the comments.  My pack is too heavy for sure.  Some of that stuff is coming off it, the matches, sharpies, highlighter, cosmic wimpout ( a dice game), summit pack, solar charger are all staying home.  Ill lighten the personal FAK, poo kit (bathroom kit), pack itself, and anywhere else I can.  My left knee is hurting so i have to jeep it protected at all times.  You guys rock.

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

I made it.  Under 10 Lbs.

https://lighterpack.com/r/40zc2t

Thanks for all your help and suggesstions.

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Wow, that is impressive, congratulations.

You probably should not carry Lavender scented Camp Suds into bear country.

What are Ranger beads and what does TJB stand for?

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

TJB are my initials.

TJB Poo Kit is my trowl, some TP and hand sanitizer.

That soap is going bye bye.

Ranger Beads are a way of marking distance and tracking how much you have hiked.  I made the sets for the scouts with 550 paracord and pony beads from Michaels.  I had one made for me from etsy and love it.

Here is a link to the store on Etsy where I bought mine.  His craftsmanship is just amazing.  I would strongly recommend him.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/491039690/custom-paracord-ranger-pace-count-beads?ref=yr_purchases

Here is a link to a You Tube video with how to make them and use them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-qSaRrGCUc

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

@atgrimaldi:

I’ve haven’t been to Philmont (yet) and maybe it depends on your specific itinerary but isn’t a 45 degree bag with a ZPacks fleece kind of skimpy in the sleeping department? If you have a light-ish down hoody then that would be more secure but maybe it just depends on how you sleep? Also, it depends on how conservative that 45 degree rating is. For me, I’ll make all my bets to ensure that I sleep warmly through the night.

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Great point.  I do have a Mont Bel puffy hooded I am considering on bringing.  I may bring it to basecamp and make the bring/no bring decision with more current info.  We leave on Saturday!!!

David Y
    BPL Member

@moonshine

Extra clothes are heavier than the extra down it takes to make a bag warm to 20°.

I only carry a lightweight fleece as a mid-layer for those cool/cold evenings before bed.

Robert Alexander
    BPL Member

@robmalexander

Locale: Atlanta

@moonshine: true but there might not be enough resources to sub at this point.

In either case you can tell a great deal by looking at Euro weather models for the area just before departure and manage risk that way.

AT Grimaldi
    Spectator

@atgrimaldi

Great conversation!!

I am going with the Mountain Hardware 20 deg. bag.

45 deg bag with CF sack – 637 g

20 deg bag with CF sack – 703 g

Down puffy – 261 g

No Brainer!!!  Thanks for saving me some g.

– ATG

George
    Spectator

@gs

@atgrimaldi, your pack list is impressive.  When you get back, could you let us know what worked well and not so well?  Thanks!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools