Topic

Is this forum dying?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Is this forum dying?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Derrick White
    BPL Member

@miku

Locale: Labrador

There was av time not so long ago when a post asking material recommendations for any piece of gear would have been immediately be answered with a swarm of opinions.  Now, nothing but silence.

It is beginning to seem like the end of days.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Feels better to me than 6 months ago.

The slow loading hurts.

The registration fee to post a beginner’s question hurts a lot.  MAYBE one’s first 5 posts could go into a moderated queue before going on the forum (to screen out spam).

But, yeah there are fewer experienced responses to many questions than before the transition to this site.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

I’ve been away for a few reasons. The signal to noise ratio bugs me, I find it awkward to pick through FS and WTB posts to find a few threads that are not about buying or selling.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I think derrick is referring to the MYOG subforum, in which this thread is posted, and not referring to the state of the forum as a whole.

Richard May
    BPL Member

@richardm

Locale: Nature Deficit Disorder

Aha. That’s what happens when I look at the Recent Forum topics without checking the forum. Doh. ?‍

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Give me time and I can find posts stating the OP’s thoughts going back to 2005.

But definitely a low point in valuable member contributions.  The forum has always been the best part of BPL. The rare good articles are just a bonus.

@Justin
    jsyk it’s been one day since that post.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Ah, yeah, I’d agree that there is less MYOG activity than several years ago.

There has been, recently, the whole Moulder Strip design, discussions, testing, etc, That’s maybe the best I’ve ever seen the MYOG forum function in which how to operate a canister to essentially ANY temperature was kind of crowd-sourced.

I do see fewer packs, tarps and tent projects.

Of course, there was a time when you needed to MYOG a shelter for it to be under 2 pounds.  And a more recent time when you couldn’t buy a 1-pound shelter or pack by clicking on someone’s cottage-industry web site.  As better/lighter stuff is available commercially, there’s less incentive to MYOG.

I remember MOST “manufacturers” offering only kits or kits alongside finished items in the 1970’s.  Because US labor actually cost something and you could save that money doing your own work.  Chinese labor basically doesn’t cost anything if you earn US wages so why not let someone else do the sewing?

But as to MYOG sub-forum inactivity?  I suspect many of the same underlying reasons – between load times, all those stupid FS listings, and the resulting diaspora of long-time posters, BPL is a less efficient way to waste time than it used to be.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

On the issue of MYOG, one of the reasons I signed up was to see if I could get a net tent without spending too much money. But once I started reading more and found the Gear Swap, I concluded that buying used equipment would be much, much more cost effective than learning how to sew.

On the issue of the page loading, I’m typing this in Notepad because I can’t even type it in the comment box. There’s an ad for Arby’s that keeps pulling the cursor out of the comment box and moving the page up to the ad. Fortunately, the Arby’s by me just closed.

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

I only signed up and paid for premium membership because of the locked MYOG articles.  Now, I understand why many had left.  MYOG is not dead.  In fact, I’d say that more people are into these days than ever before; but why would you talk about it on a fee-based forum when there are other forums out there where it can be discussed/shared for free?  That was a statement and not a question.  In those other forums topics of MYOG are quite active.

Edited to add:

There is MYOG and then there is UL MYOG and most MYOGers are not ULers. I am not an ultra-lighter myself, simply consider myself lightweight, and sometimes wonder that the reception I might get around here is that my stuff is too heavy… …so I don’t bother.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Shame you don’t share. Nobody gains anything.

Got some links to the free options?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

“But once I started reading more and found the Gear Swap, I concluded that buying used equipment would be much, much more cost effective than learning how to sew.”

I do probably as much MYOG as anyone, but yeah, I agree, it’s not to save money but for something interesting to do.  And maybe you can make exactly what you want.

“there are other forums out there where it can be discussed/shared for free?”

yeah, share links

Sam C
    BPL Member

@crucial-geek

Locale: Mid-Atlantic

Shame you don’t share. Nobody gains anything.

Got some links to the free options?

I will.  I just keep making more stuff, or playing around with designs, and don’t get around to posting.  Thing is, nothing I make is UL from most perspectives around here it seems.  I aim for 2 – 2 1/2 lbs packs, not sub 16 oz.  I don’t go the “multiple-use” route.  I don’t use Cuben or DCF.  I do use 1000D Cordura.  I actually like, and use straps/webbing.  Not to mention, twin stays.  I am currently working on a new pack right now that I would like to post about here, but mainly to give others some ideas.  I also have a modified G4 that I want to get up here.

For the links, not sure if linking to competitor sites is allowed, but for some, the MYOG subreddit is going strong.  Hammock Forums seems good for MYOG, but not as diverse of topics as found here.  Discussions on White Blaze seem more frequent.

Thing is, those other sites make frequent mention of BPL, which could put BPL on top in terms of active users but I suspect the truth is that as long as others are linking to BPL the advertisers are happy, making the owners happy and less inclined to change anything around here.

Luke F
    BPL Member

@fowler

Certainly the MYOG subreddit seems to be the most active and accessible at the moment. The level of discourse is much lower then BPL and you can’t expect much useful advice once you get past the point of rank amateur but the low barrier to entry keeps fresh blood circulating. The projects are also not of the same caliber as the glory days of BPL, but if you just want to show off what you’ve been playing with it is as good a place as any. Lots of Ikea bag backpacks and costco throw underquilts, but it gets people sewing and outside.

I agree on the labor assessment, I would love to see more people switch to MYOG instead of cheap imported goods, but as long as prices stay as low as they are I doubt many will see the point.

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

To amplify a point raised earlier, I make my own gear partially to save money, but perhaps more for the satisfaction of using gear I made myself.  I aim to make it as light as possible, but I don’t work with Cuben fabric (nor down for that matter).

Also, I can make something to try out fairly inexpensively (Bothy bags…work great) and not care much if it doesn’t work out.  And I can quickly whip out small items for next to nothing (multiple pairs of gaiters for X-C skiing).

I too have found the BPL MYOG forum has the most depth, the MYOG sub-Reddit is pretty superficial.

William Kerber
    BPL Member

@wkerber

Locale: South East US

I get on a MYOG binge and then drop off for awhile. I’ve made hammocks, top and bottom quilts (climashield), a couple of backpacks and a thru-hiker vest (my most used piece). Usually in the winter, when I have more down time. I’m guilty of not posting much on my results and should do a better job of that.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I don’t think the forum is dead but I think the level of activity has dropped a bit…but the meticulous testing and “crowd research” doesn’t seem to have left.

Personally, that’s what I’ve always loved about this forum…someone gets an idea on a new design or technique and a people rally behind them and provided input/insight to help that experiment along. The projects are well documented and the end result was that the entire MYOG community benefits from the lessons learned.

That hasn’t changed…but I don’t think that we’re sharing at the same level as we used to. I’m to blame for this as well–I’ve done a great deal of research on these forums but have not given back to the same extent and I rarely even document my own projects at this point. Even if my latest tent (a Cirriform 2 knockoff) is just a recycled idea, it may very well motivate others…so I’ll try to post more often.

1. Young people are much less likely to pay for a BPL membership

I view BPL as an online magazine subscription and my peers (I’m 30, by the way) simply haven’t been raised with the expectations that you need to pay for media…We grew up with more information at our fingertips than we could get if we went to our public library.

So rather than buying a magazine subscription and reading it every month, my generation has always gotten information for free and had it within a day or two.

Just another example…rather than buy the latest album, we either downloaded it (illegally…and I feel very different about that now than I did then) or listen to it on some streaming service like YouTube or Spotify for free.

2. Compared to the free communities online (reddit, youtube…etc) I feel that BPL still has far superior content even though our activity has fallen a bit.

I think the barrier of membership fees actually keeps a lot of “lazy posts” out of this forum compared to the free communities…sure there’s less activity but the majority of what gets posted here is actually interesting. If you go to reddit.com/r/ultralight or reddit.com/r/myog you’ll be hard pressed to find the kind of quality contributions that are posted here.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Maybe all those experienced in DIY/MYOG hve gone and started their own cottage industry?

Expert DIY advice was one of the reasons I paid my subscription, at this stage i’m not sure it will be worth renewing next year

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

One of the most prolific / knowledgeable contributors to the MYOG forum was Aaron Sorensen. He would love to come back.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Have Arron purchase the basic member subscription with slightly  different name and password. That’s what I did when I couldn’t log in even though I had purchased a lifetime membership long ago before the change over. They tried to resolve the problem but as you know things don’t work as we hope for. Kinda like having a tick bite ya when ya least expect it :-))))  I’d love to see Arron back also, I’ll send him paypal monies for the sign up fee. Get his email for me and I’ll send it tomorrow. Lets not wait for management to get their act together ;-)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I know it’s a trifle, but it sits badly to reward the behavior with money. Easy enough for BPL to supply a replacement membership account. Which is also the right thing, and the least they can do.

And since there are now ads all over let’s get rid of the subscription fee.

Adapt or die.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

This is ridiculous.

It appears the entire BPL management and staff have abandoned ship.

Ethan A.
    BPL Member

@mountainwalker

Locale: SF Bay Area & New England

Bob it certainly seems that way, but to be fair, Roger our valiant moderator doesn’t have the ability to restore posting ability.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Oh, I know… I am referring only to the ‘brain trust’ in Bozeman.      :^/

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I sent Aaron some funds to try again, nothing ventured, nothing gained ;-)

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools