Topic

Is luxury ultralight a thing?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Is luxury ultralight a thing?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Thomas S
    BPL Member

@tsharp85

Longs peak Hi all,

I am about to hit the trail for a 5 day off trail route through Rocky Mountain National Park. My base weight is clocked 12.0 pounds, putting me outside the supposed 10lb entry mark into “ultralight.” The thing is, this trip is a vacation for me – I have planned down time at camp. My base weight includes a comfy camp chair, fly fishing gear, pipe and tobacco, full sleeping outfit, etc. While I desperately want to feel I belong in the ultralight community, I want to bring these extras in order to enjoy the short time I have in the mountains, doing the things I love. I would otherwise easily be at 10lbs. So – basic question is, does this desire contradict the whole ethos of ultralight? It seems there should be variants on what is considered ultralight, depending on the type of trip, time of year, goals, etc.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

“does this desire contradict the whole ethos of ultralight?”

No, it does not contradict. Ultralight is just a goal of some. Lightweight is good enough for shorter trips. Enjoy your trip.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Yeah. Don’t focus on labels. Are you comfortable and safe? Many people start off with a very light load and then add a chair or camera or whatever because it adds to their experience.

Have a nice trip :)

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

Some perspective on this exact issue here:

what is ultralight backpacking?

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Despite your obvious and utter failings at being an Ultralight Backpacker, if you post a good picture smoking your pipe I would be willing to be your friend.

;)

Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

UL doesn’t stand for Ultra Luxury??

I think you’ve got the right idea. :)

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

Arbitrary labels. The goal and conditions of your trip should dictate what you bring. A heavier pack makes hiking harder. However, if you’re stripped down to a minimal setup, camp time will likely suck. Find a balance that allows you to hike in relative comfort and safety, but also allows for you to enjoy your time in camp. If you’re in decent shape, a 12 pound base weight w/ 5 days of food & fuel should not be an issue.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

With basic gear being so comfortable, thinking it’s only design and a hiker’s plans (setting up camp early vs hiking until the sun sets).  With a good enough shelter, the Xlite sleeping pad with appropriate quilt and S2S pillow is already luxurious.  Thinking of adding the right type of UL silk liner to make it totally luxurious, though one “hazard” is sleeping in..

Of course you have add ons, but one could simple add a digital book, etc..

Thomas S
    BPL Member

@tsharp85

Thanks Everyone for the feedback and wider perspective. And thanks Ryan for the link to the article. As requested, here is a pick of my pipe smoke at Timber Lake, RMNP.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools