Topic

Interest in Silpoly pyramid kits?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Interest in Silpoly pyramid kits?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Locale: Rogue Panda Designs

Not sure if this is an appropriate commercial post or not.  I thought about posting in gear swap but this makes more sense to me.

Anyway, I bought a roll of 20d silpoly (1.4oz PU-coating, “green tea” color) late last year with the intent to make some tents and tarps, but my bike bag production has gotten super busy so I doubt I’ll be able to work on that project anytime soon.

However, I’ve got the facilities and tools to cut the material easily, and I also have patterns made and tested for a 9×9 pyramid with small caternary cuts.  So it occurs to me that I could ship the pieces to a tent already cut, with instructions on how to put it together.  And a bit of scrap to practice on.

That way I could use my silpoly without spending as much time.  And it takes all of the math and difficulty of cutting large fabric panels out of the equation for MYOGers.  I would probably do retail cost of the silpoly + $20 or so.  Including some lineloc3’s and grosgrain ribbon cut for the guylines.  I don’t have the time right now to do it but I thought I’d gauge interest and if I have the time in a few weeks I could put some kits together.  Any interest?  Thoughts?

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

What digital format are your patterns in, Nick?  Would you mind sharing?

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Sounds like something for me. Sewing together pre cut pieces would be a good time saver. I’m interested and even like the color.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

Good timing.
    Within the last month my wife got a new sewing machine.
    I’m definitely interested.

Chad B
    BPL Member

@cenazwalker

Locale: Southwest

I’d be in too, been wanting to learn how to sew.

Clifford Deakyne
    BPL Member

@cliffdeakyne

Locale: Colorado Rockies foot hills

I’d be interested as well.

Jordo _99
    BPL Member

@jordo_99

Locale: Nebraska

I’d be interested. I have friends and family who have expressed interest in having me commission them a shelter and I could certainly make this work for them.

Jennifer Mitol
    Spectator

@jenmitol

Locale: In my dreams....

I’d do it, too – sounds like a great idea for someone like me!

Anonymous
    Inactive

One of the factors that kept me from making a pyramid tent myself a little while ago, was partly a severe lack of working space to cut out all the necessary panels.

So, i think it’s a good idea.  At this point, not sure i would buy the kit myself since i bought a silnylon pyramid tent awhile back.  Actually i might, and sell the pyramid tent, which so far hasn’t been used at all. While i’m not keen on the greater stretching and moisture absorbing of the silnylon, i do like the greater strength and durability for less weight as compared to polyester though.

Andy S
    Spectator

@asouth5

I would be into that for sure.  Let me know the details when you have them.  Thanks!

Ricky Ng
    Spectator

@dummey

It sounds like fun, I’d be interested in a kit.

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Well, sounds like I should go forward with this idea!  I’ll need to find the time to make another mid to take photos of for instructions.  I sold mine to a friend in need so I have to do that anyway.  Once that’s done I should have enough fabric left for 8-10 kits.

Sam, I don’t actually have the pattern in a digital format at all.  I used some geometry along with Roger Caffin’s cat curve calculator to plot the pieces onto masonite, which I then cut with a jigsaw.  I used to teach community college math so I’m pretty comfortable with doing the hand calculations.

Sam Haraldson
    BPL Member

@sharalds

Locale: Gallatin Range

Glad to see such positive response to this.  And thanks for the info, Nick.  Nothing wrong with good old hard patterns.

terry a thompson
    BPL Member

@terry588

Locale: West

I would be interested also..sounds like a great way to get a tent project off the ground.

Please let me know when you have more details.

Thanks,

Ryan P. Murphy
    BPL Member

@rmurphy

Locale: Virginia

I would be interested in a kit (or 2 or 3). Let me know when this gets a little farther along.

Cheers

Rory Goforth
    BPL Member

@rtgoforth

Locale: Northern Arizona

I’d be interested, I’m in Flagstaff too.

EJVC
    BPL Member

@ejvc

Locale: Near the Klarälven river

Me too, sounds fun.

Bill P
    BPL Member

@wjpurcell

Hi Nick, I am keen too.

I’m located in Australia though.

Regards Bill Purcell

Gary D
    BPL Member

@doc

Interested as well. I am located in Canada.

Véronique V.
    BPL Member

@serpentine

Locale: On the mountain

I’m interested too… I’m in Canada.

Christopher T
    BPL Member

@paddlenfish

Interested also I am in North Carolina

Michael P
    Spectator

@pgmike

Whatever came from this?

Nick Smolinske
    BPL Member

@smo

Michael,

So nothing has come of this, yet.  I still have the roll of fabric in my shop, and I will probably get around to making kits eventually.  The problem is time – I’ve just been so busy this year.  And then I just took a month off to hike part of the CDT … this is why I didn’t make any promises.

In any case I’m hiring some new employees so hopefully this fall I can get around to it.  And I’m gonna make myself another mid so I can take photos or shoot video of the construction whenever that happens.

Lizz Roe
    BPL Member

@rebelgirluk

Locale: Cardiff

I’m interested too – I’m in the UK….

Zakary Paronto
    BPL Member

@bigredbeard

Glad to hear this is in the works still. I would love to get one.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools