Topic

Innovative indoor hangs??

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Innovative indoor hangs??

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

I wanna see your indoor hanging setups! What unique ways do you hang inside?

We bought a pretty small house when we moved to FL earlier this year (2bd/1ba) so now need to figure out where to sleep if family visits. We’ll give the guests our queen bed and we’ll sleep in the living room on couch and/or hammock(s).

Problem is, my wife won’t let me just mount big ol’ eyelets or hooks in the wall… and its too freaking hot/muggy outside between Apr & Nov. Thus I need to figure out a more covert/prettier or fully removable way to make it happen inside. And before you mention them, I have no interest in a stand. I’ve got some ideas but want to see what others have come up with too??

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

There are lots of plans for DIY  hammock stands. You could use the stand outside as well. Ready made ones tend to be pricey

I wanted to do some indoor tests and drilled holes in my basement joists in the workshop/garage where the ceiling is not finished, tied in tubular webbing loops and put carabiners to the loops. You need a long span for that height. A 16 foot span is best anchored at about 6.5’ so you need a proportionately longer span for ceiling height—- or have the hammock farther off the floor than the desired sitting height (at your peril).

Anchors need to be strong. There’s more stress than you might think.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Asked around on Hammock Forum as well and got a good tip on a great bracket from Dutch. Can’t believe I hadn’t checked there already! But he’s got an adjustable aluminum bracket that would work well for two of my 3 points. For the “main anchor point”, I took advantage of some metal fabrication equipment we have at work. Cut out a plate of 1/4” steel so I could weld in some 3/8” nuts.

Then I cut down some eyelet bolts so they wouldnt stick out further than needed. I mounted this plate to a stud using some 3.5” long, extra-thick structural screws. Making a plate like this allowed me to keep it “thin” enough that a standard canvas picture or painting can simply hang over the plate once the eyelets are removed.

At the other end of the hammocks is exterior 8” thick brick wall. I mounted the Dutch brackets there making sure to be in the meat of the bricks (not on a mortar joint). I used lag shields and a different structural screw to mount these.

Tested each side by tying a double length of webbing from anchor to anchor, and tightening it as much as I could so the webbing had little to no sag in it. Then both my wife and I put all our weight on the webbing. Per my calculations, this method should have put at least 1000lb of horizontal (pulling) force on each anchor. My biggest concern here was that the brick wall anchors wouldn’t be strong enough to resist this large tensile force. At this point, I’m quite satisfied that my anchors are strong enough.

and now time to reap the benefits of living room hammocking :)

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Just in case you missed it…. The load rating for eye-bolts is severely affected by the angle of force.

https://www.certifiedslings.com/load-limits/shoulder-eye-bolts-a-swivel-hoist-rings/

Or google “angled eye bolt load rating” to get an idea of what you need.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Good call Greg. I knew it wouldn’t be as strong at an angle, but that is a bigger drop than I would have expected. Im using 3/8” bolts and at a 30-35deg angle from straight out (which appears to be 60-deg on their chart?) so I’m still close to 1000lb working load limit. I’m only 160 so feeling like I’m still good :)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

at work.. I use the wall anchors from Dutch.

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Another possibility for hanging at work – or home:

YouTube video

https://www.upliftdesk.com/under-desk-hammock-uplift-desk/

No personal experience.

— Rex

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

IF you had a big enough desk, this could be a fun option. The website even talks about lowering the desk w: the motor, getting in the hammock, and then raising yourself! Wouldn’t have expected the desk motor to be able to life a person! But I know I’ve never had a desk big enough though. The guy in this pic looks like he’s sitting cross legged, and you gotta figure the girl on the website is like 5’0” tall.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I couldn’t find the photo I took, but it amused me to see someone had set up his hammock between two handrails in the Anchorage International Airport.  It was in an out-of-the-way place up on a mezzanine above the concourses, but still, it seemed kinda ballsy.

I frequently fly with a compact self-inflating pad in my carry-on and find that it makes an airport bench or the carpet at the departure gate much more comfortable for a nap.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

David- you posted that pic in dirtbag’s thread about hammocking at work. He started it w/ the same pic he posted above actually. It’s 5-6 threads down in the hammock section.

were going to Hawaii from FL in a couple weeks and stay over in Phx for a night to breakup the flight there. I keep joking w/ my wife that we should sleep like the guy you posted about :) she’s not too interested

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools