Topic

Inner soles as camp shoes

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Multiple Use Gear Inner soles as camp shoes

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

It’s a great feeling sliding into some lightweight slippers after a days hike. Way back when I even used to carry a pair of foam sandals for that purpose. A couple years ago I started carrying a cheap pair of socks instead. I would take the innersoles out of my boots, and slide them into the cheap socks, then pad around camp.

Lately I have moved to a lighter weight pair of hiking shoes. I find if I just take the inner soles out, the hiking shoes have a whole different feel. This same technique works for my boots. Mostly I leave the cheap socks at home now.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I’ve never taken camp shoes. In shoulder seasons I take goretex socks so I can wear my wet shoes comfortably.

Couple of threads every year about camp shoes. Here’s a current discussion

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/104277/

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California
    Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

I do the same as Ken, I just make sure to loosen my trail runner laces.

Chad P
    BPL Member

@exup

The bulk of my time hiking I’ve just had the shoes on my feet, until I learned the sandals from a ccf pad trick. While there’s times I’ll still go without them, I find myself curious how people can even happily get by without a camp shoe in most situations

The bulk of trips I take my trail shoes become soaked quickly and often times globbed with mud. At that point knowing I have to be in that til it’s time to turn in is not fun. Also the whole “trail runners dry quick” thought, has never worked for me haha. Always wet when I wake up. Discomfort doesn’t bug me but sometimes ya need a break. I’ve used sandals made from s GH 1/8 pad for awhile. Not the most long lasting but less than an ounce.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=3220&p_id=1118382

Just found these yesterday for a potential fishing trip and they promising at only 2.4oz

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools