Topic

Individually packaged one dose toothpaste!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Individually packaged one dose toothpaste!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

These are a little gems I’ve been using.  Found them at my local chiropractor but Amazon carries them also.  One little packet  easily last me two mornings .   SUL, just carry what you need.

Shane S.
    BPL Member

@grinder

Locale: P.N.W

Geeze.  can’t believe I can’t edit my headline, ONE dose toothpaste.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I haven’t seen those but I like ARCHTEK tablets also sold in individual packets and several places including AMAZON but I like to get the larger bottle and then I put them in a snack size bag for less packaging.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

And of course you really don’t need the paste, just brush.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

And of course you really don’t need the paste, just brush.

I go old school…Baking Soda in a film canister.  Totally LNT as you simply swallow everything.  Baking Soda is also a good antacid so…dual purpose.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

But Ken, you don’t need the brush either. =) I can live without for a couple days and I haven’t had a cavity in years. Just don’t get too close. I also like the idea of making your own toothpaste tablets, just let some globs dry out.

Ben

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

I had a friend that used baking soda or sometimes tooth powder and was always having problems with moisture and it clumping together so he switched to toothpaste dots as I did, then years ago Mike Clelland posted about the toothpaste tablets and I like them, I don’t make the dots anymore.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

The brushing feels good though Ben.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Do not neglect the brushing. Sure, it cleans the teeth, but it ALSO massages the gums, and this is very good for the health of the gums.

Cheers
    PS: fixed thread title.

Window walker
    Spectator

@2-2-2

Hahaha Ken. I admit this only happens a couple times a year when I am doing a solo USL (ultra-stupid-light) death march type trip. You can always brush with your finger as well, massaging gums and all.  I have noticed with change of diet (healthier, less sugar) my dental well being increases.  I believe this plays a much larger role than brushing habits alone. This is the only reasonable answer to why the dentist says my teeth and gums are healthier every time I get a cleaning with no change in my brushing/flossing  routine.  YMMV, HYOH, and all that.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

I’m waiting for someone to suggest using a leaf. :)

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

You can always brush with your finger as well, massaging gums and all.

I’m waiting for someone to suggest using a leaf. :)

I hesitate to needlessly put my fingers in my mouth to minimize ingesting bad bacteria.  If doing so, I’d wash my hands really well first.

Leaves?  Better yet, a broken stick.  Green-stick fracture it so there are lots of little fibers sticking out and then use that to gently scrub your teeth and gum line as you hike.  Try each species along your route and you’ll quickly develop a favorite.  Likely birch/aspen or alder.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

David, that’s a solid technique–still used in many parts of Africa instead of non-biodegradable plastic toothbrushes.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools