Topic

Imusa 12cm Handle Mods?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Imusa 12cm Handle Mods?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Has anyone modded an Imusa 10 or 12cm pot handle? I have the 12cm pot and like it but the darn protruding handle just bugs me. Any ideas on how to convert this to a folding handle?

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

How to remove imusa mug handle? .

IMUSA Pot Handle DIY Modification .

Imusa Pot/Cup Handle Mod .

. lots of threads if you do a google search, or if you don’t feel like doing it yourself you can buy one already done that comes with a lid

BATCHSTOVEZ 12CM COOKPOT .

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

I am pretty sure that Sam (Batchstovez) stopped making pots in order to concentrate on stoves.

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

Locale: Northern Arizona

Beat me to it @seventy2002 :) I sold the smaller mug i made initially and showed in that thread. I still have, and use regularly, the larger mug shown in this thread ( https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/my-new-homemade-ti-cone-what-connection-have-others-done/ )

shoot me a PM if you want any more details.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

Batchstovez still sells them

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

@annapurna Thanks for the links. I wonder if the coat hanger will hold up at 36-40oz of water being poured. Maybe another option is remove the handle and put some kind of silicone wrap on the cup so it can be handled hot?

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

My current handles are made of stainless steel bike spokes and they hold the water weight just fine. I made them of shirt hangers initially and those worked just fine as well. I changed out for the spokes because the shirt hanger was all I had st first, they could have rusted and I got my hands on a bunch of spokes off a rebuilt wheel.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Ryan-thanks for the info. I plan on doing the handle mounts a bit different than yours. I want to do it this way

Do you have the specs on the dimensions on the bike spokes you used?

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

I don’t have specs unfortunately… I literally stopped into REI one day and asked if they had rebuilt any wheels lately. The guy was working on a wheel and gave me the cutoff ones from that. I used to have access to a micrometer through work but changed jobs & moved 2 weeks ago so don’t anymore.

i did the “full height” handle style on the smaller mug but opted for the shorter height/longer handle on the larger cuz I knew I wanted it to work fully inserted into a cone windshield/support. A full height handle makes that virtually impossible.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Ryan-thanks Ryan.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Got around to moding my 12cm Imusa. Hacksawed the handle off, drilled holes and used coat hanger for handle. Not pretty but it works.  I wish the coat hanger wire was a tad more stout but it does hold up to neary a full pot of water. The top rivet is a little loose. Any way to tighten this up without drilling and using small bolt/nut?

3.7oz without lid, 4.5oz with.

Dalton Cooper
    BPL Member

@dcooper

Locale: Carolinas

Ordered mine from Minibull and they removed the handle, at my request, for no extra cost. I use a homemade cozy and have a carbon felt windscreen that is an excellent a pot grabber, so the handle wasn’t super-necessary and mostly would have just gotten in the way.

Aware there are cheaper options out there but also as someone who’s not especially crafty, it was well worth the extra few bucks + shipping for a pot that works so well for me (cost like $7 + shipping).

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Could you permanently mount carbon felt on the pot as a grabbing point?

Dalton Cooper
    BPL Member

@dcooper

Locale: Carolinas

Haven’t tried to since I like to use my felt as a windscreen too (I’m an alcohol stove person) and am unsure if it’d fit in a cozy with a permanent felt wrap. I’ve been told gluing fiberglass wick with JB Weld works well, so I would imagine you could plausibly do the same with carbon felt. – Imusa mugs are pretty cheap and you’d only be out $3 or 4 if your experiement doesn’t work. I’ve also seen those silicone bracelets used as a pot grab + lip protector.

Ryan “Rudy” Oury
    BPL Member

@ohdogg79

I don’t think there’s a way to tighten a rivet once installed. That (plus the fact that I didn’t have a rivet gun and didn’t want to buy one) was the biggest reason I used a small bolt, plastic washer and nut for my attachment.

I’ve seen a fair number of guys wrap fiberglass wick material as a grabbing point… can’t think of seeing carbon felt. The wick should stand up MUCH better than felt. Various alcohol stove manufacturers wrap wick to absorb alcohol for priming. MiniBull does this on most of his Traditional Alcohol stoves. So you’d be assured that method would last.

getting a silicone band big enough for a 12cm Imusa would probably be tough. I had some larger that fit on a Fosters can which was still smaller dia than the 12cm Imusa.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The top rivet is a little loose. Any way to tighten this up without drilling and using small bolt/nut?
    Punch steel nail shank out, then use compression die in press. Yes, you need a custom die set for this, but I have done MANY rivets like that.

Mind you, I use a plastic mug for drinking anyhow.

Cheers

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools