Topic

Improved Water Scoop: Design Phase

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Improved Water Scoop: Design Phase

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Author
    DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Well pooh pooh on my idea….I liked it 

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

Thanks Dan.  An external clip; I like it! I wonder if the clip will hold on to the aluminum shaft without slipping?

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

I sent two versions off to be printed: the one above and the one below where I added a screw post to match the threads on an arrow shaft insert.  Shapeways changed there interface a bit but it only gave me one plastic option to print with. I’m guessing it had to do with the fine details on the threads.  Each model cost me $5 to print.  With shipping and tax it came out to about $15 to print them up.  We’ll see how they look.

I opened up the dimensions a bit on the shaft to allow a bit of slop for the threads to catch.  This thing is so small I am not sure I opened them up enough.  I guess I will see when it shows up.

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

I am slowly creeping along on this project.  Here is the new 3-d printed part with arrow shaft:

The arrow shaft screws in tightly to the plastic frame.  I could probably open up the dimensions a bit more.  I think some of the tightness is residual from the sintering process:

The frame without the threaded shaft has some slop between the shaft and the hole (no picture).  I think it would work fine glued but I could tighten up those dimensions.

I got the arrow shaft from a local archery range.  He gave them to me with a handshake and a promise mention them to any friends looking for an archery range/lessons.  He was a real nice guy, check him out if you are in the neighborhood looking for archery lessons or a range: http://www.southbayarcherylessons.com/

I snipped and clipped and folded the bag into position:

and found I have about an inch too much bag for the frame :(

I didn’t expect to be dead-on but I am a bit embarrassed how far off I am.  I guess measure 18 times and 3-d print a dozen times… as the old saying goes.  I am probably going to just fold it over and make do with the way it is to see how it works out.

Viewing 4 posts - 76 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools