Topic

If I did the NCT Over Again List – Shake Me Down!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists If I did the NCT Over Again List – Shake Me Down!

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Locale: PNW

So if I could do-over my gear list here’s how it would look round 2, shake me down people! :) Thanks!

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

Sleeping Mat I forgot to Check is in the total weight but not listed is a Synmat UL7 no bag at 15.87oz

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

You have either way too much stuff, way too little stuff, or just the right amount of stuff.   It all depends what the NCT is.   Should I know that?

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

:) The North Coast and Cape Scott Trails. Think WCT but more rugged (at least for the first 3 days)

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Oh I thought it was the North Country Trail. All 4600 miles of it.

I’ve never seen flares or a freaking shower cap on a list.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

So you’re saying I have too much stuff…?

Flare is a hold over from hiking very remote areas should I need to pull the PLB, the shower cap is the bottle cap of a smart water bottle that serves as a shower.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Rain gear, fleece or syn puffy? Sleep mat? Map and compass?

edit: oops, just saw the synmat 7 comment

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Well that makes a bit more sense.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Bear spray? What were your own conclusions here. Also: it’s pretty rainy up there. How did the tarp work?
    actually I’m curious about what you think did or didn’t work. How was the mud and did your boots work, for example. I’m sort of surprised you went with dirty girl gaiters in this environment–kinda minimal, but you tell me.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@krampusoutside

@bobmny10562 Good call on the map I didn’t account for that on weight while it would likely just live in my pant pocket it should be on there. Rain gear would just be just the Houdini. I found the Frogg Toggs I took on round 1 unecessary for the short duration rain and summer conditions. There is a fleece there the MEC T3 coupled with the Houdini thats warm enough fur summer (avg. temps up there were 12-18c) Also didn’t account for the compass I just used a Suunto button compass but it still weighs something! Thanks!

@book
    Re Bear spray its mandatory here we have 7000 black bears on the island alone and in this part of the island decent wolf and cougar populations as well. I didn’t have to use either the bear spray or banger on this trip but a lady who was just a hair behind us in time did as she extolled when she caught up to us at one point. I didn’t have the Deschutes (I just ordered it) on round 1 (I used a Hornet 1p) but it would have been just fine, it rained 3 times at night but very calm and mostly straight down I was shocked how calm the conditions were given we camped every night on the beach save for one inland site. I wore xUltra II light trail shoes, the dg gaitors and nylon paints I got muddy, real muddy but I didn’t mind wet feet and the combo did an excellent job of keeping the mud out of my shoes (which would suck). At camp I would zip off the bottoms and rinse them off along with the shoes and gaitors and go barefoot, worked great. I was the only only person of the three of us with zero foot issues while my partners had blister and pain issues… They wore boots and big gaitors.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Looks as if you’ve got it dialed, basing the tweaks to your kit on prior experience.

Have a good time.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools