Topic

Ideas on my Gearlist. Doing AT Thru Hike in 2018.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists Ideas on my Gearlist. Doing AT Thru Hike in 2018.

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Michael S
    BPL Member

@silvermss

Thanks Link,  There have been some changes to that list since I wrote it.  I went to Injinji nuwool socks 2oz to 1.5oz, a lighter black diamond cosmo headlamp 9.2oz to 3.1oz, took out the insect repel since I’m doing the Insect Shield – didn’t weigh it, taking half the amount of bio wipes another item I didn’t weigh bc it was weighed in a group, sleeping bag is going to a EE convert – awaiting product for weight, pocket shower has became a dry bag. Campsuds bottle got a make over by using a shampoo bottle from a hotel 1.7oz to 1.1oz.  Of course you know I’m in the process of finding a new down jacket.  I may look into other tents soon but not sure how much weight I’ll save since I’m not using trekking poles.  I’m slowly getting lighter.  A heck of a lot better than when I started with solar panel, phone, camera, base layers, duct tape, mummy liner.  Thanks to the guys on here they are helping me out and I’m willing to make changes on some things.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

That’s great, by the look of your photo you could still use some help with repackaging some stuff. I would suggest watching Mike Clelland’s videos at the very least the DINKY STUFF 1 and 2 and you could save even more weight and very easily and cheaply, HERE are the videos. Enjoy your trip.

You can get little repackaging containers(like the ones you see in Mike Clelland uses in his videos) many places including your local stores and pharmacy but here are some examples

LITESMITH.

GOSSAMERGEAR.

.MOUNTAINLAURELDESIGNS.

.USPLASTICS.

.USPLASTICS.

You could make toothpaste dots like Mike C. shows or there are ARCHTEK toothpaste tablets so only bring exactly what you need in a snack size bag for any given trip instead of a whole tube and THESE are good for little thing like pills, toothpaste tablets ect. so you are not packing a whole bottle(you can also get them very cheap at most pharmacies). I am glad to be able to help you out:)

Carl Zimmerman
    BPL Member

@carlz993

AT NoBo thru-hiker here.  My $0.02 on your list.

SoBo means you’re doing the hardest part first (ME & NH). Very vertical terrain when you don’t have your trail legs under you yet. I was fit by the time I got to NH & ME.  Both states kicked my butt.  Whittle out stuff you don’t need as soon as you can… preferable before you start.  I’ll make a few suggestions where you can reduce weight.  I’ll also make a few suggestions where you’ll add additional weight but it will work better than your planned equipment.

I’d go with a fleece beanie rather than a headband (more Wt). For a down jacket, yours seems heavy.  Changing it out for a lighter one might fry your budget.  Your toiletry bag seems heavy.  You can replace your camp shower with a Pack Bowl that weighs 1.2 oz.  I think Backpacking Pantry makes it.  Holds 3L of water, just add a few drops of Dr. Bonners soap and wash yourself w/ your bandana.  I was complemented that I didn’t smell too bad for a thru-hiker… the ultimate compliment.  The Sawyer Squeeze flows much faster than the Mini (own & used both).  Thermarest makes an inflator stuff sack that weighs 1 oz more than your mini pump.  I also used it as a clothes bag in town for laundry.  Your headlamp is really heavy.  I used my headlamp for hiking only a handful of times (3?).  Shoot for around 3 oz or less (3 or 2 X AA headlamp).  Your 550ml Toaks pot is awful small to cook in (I know, I own it).  Maybe upsize it?  Your compass is heavy.  I carried the lightest fully functional compass I could find (about an oz) and never used it at all.  1 oz of dead weight.  A bear canister is unnecessary weight.  You seem dead set on carrying it anyway.  That won’t change the fact that it is dead weight.

Good luck on your hike.  My intinerary w/ times listed below.  Might not be too helpful to you since you’re going SoBo.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Vq3wfR_I1vBnCQkuIrKKB_Kx0xdti_I8Tf37jA3gt1M/edit#gid=0

Viewing 3 posts - 26 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools