Topic

I love sleeping in my hammock

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping I love sleeping in my hammock

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Finally got out with my new hammock last week for 3 nights. Hiked the 42.5 mile Allegheny Front trail in PA. I loved every minute in my hammock!! So comfortable.. i will never go back on the ground again and i cant believe it took me this many years to go for it.  I used a Darian Dream hammock with my 50 degree EE enigma quilt and 40 degree EE short under quilt.  Worked perfect for me. Overnight temps hit low of about 38 one night and low 40 other 2 nights. I seriously loved sleeping in the hammock!!

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I was on the ground, but I was up there last weekend also. I had to come home early (stupid cell phone signal availability from when you are near I80), so I only got one night out. It did occur to me how many more choices for camp sites I would have had if I had gotten a hammock.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

Locale: Midwest

Agreed, I converted this year and will never go back. No more sloped ground, tree roots, puddles.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Glad to hear it – the AFT is one of my favorite trails.  Plenty of places to pitch a tent or a tarp, but infinitely more options with a hammock.

My hiking buddies (ground dwellers) refer to my hammock as a “Bear Burrito” (as if their silnylon will keep out an animal who wants to investigate them).

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

I have been experimenting with different hammocks, as I like being off the ground, and I like the ease of entry/exit and sitting height of hammocks.  However, I’ve yet to be completely comfortable since I toss and turn…I still sleep better on the ground with a full size Exped pad.  I’m not giving up the search just yet….I won’t ever completely give up my ground setups though.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

First night I spent in one I slept 14 hours straight.

Never looked back.

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

@dirtbaghiker I’m curious of what kind suspension you’re using?

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Ken T,

I wish my experience was like yours…I haven’t given up yet, though.  I’ve got a bridge hammock on the way so we’ll see how that goes.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

It is certainly worth the time experimenting. Zzzzzzzzz.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Locale: Boston & Galicia, Spain

Same here. Hammocks any day. @Hoosier, currently I like Ultimate Straps Nanoweave. About $15 on Amazon or Massdrop

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

@Hossier t.. whoppie slings with 6 ft tree straps.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

10 or 11 ft? Are you using a tarp? Plans to use it for very cold/snow conditions?

You hammock guys are gonna force me to try this!!

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

@Bob 11×5 ft hammock or 10 ft and +70″ for me. 5 ft 10″ tall size large shirt. Smaller hammocks give me calf ridge. Most times I use mosquito or winter socks. Always a tarp. In winter, Warbonnet Superfly.

Last winter I slept at -25F (forecast called for a low of 0F), with my 15F bag and EE 40F quilt over me. Under I had a 1/4″ foamy from Gossamer Gear and a HG 20F full quilt, inside a winter sock. I wore my puffy and all layers, and I was warm and comfy. Loved it!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Bob – Any time you want to try a hammock please let me know and I’ll give you a full setup to try, including underquilt, top quilt, and tarp.  Maybe our spring trip should be on the AFT…

Hoosier T
    BPL Member

@jturner140

In addition to Kevin’s offer, I would also help anyone out by lending one of my setups. After going this direction, I’m very passionate about the camp benefits along with quality of sleep that a hammock offers. I’m very active on BPL and I get the impression that the overall community still views hammocks as too heavy to consider trying them for UL backpacking. I will tell you that’s not the case any longer but body weight is of course a factor. If you’re under 200lbs, a full zipper bug net hammock with suspension and Cuben tarp can be 20oz or less. Underquilts need not be any heavier than a comparably r-rated pad and in warmer conditions, an underquilt will weigh less than a full length pad. I will gladly serve as a point of contact for anyone who wants to learn about the facets of hammock camping. Feel free to PM me and I’m even glad to get on the phone to answer questions.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

Also happy to show and tell if you are in the Boston area. Although I still consider myself new…

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Thanks for the offers, Gents!

I’ve hiked with Kevin a good amount and have seen his setups… they fit nicely in his Arc Zip and aren’t nearly as bulky as I had presumed they might be. Now that my pooch is staying home with my wife more, it is looking like a possible option. I’ve thought before of giving hammocks a whirl but didn’t want to buy a decent setup and discover it wasn’t for me. Like Rob P, I’m a toss-n-turner, but maybe in a hammock that won’t be the case. Only way to know is to try it!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

I rotisserie sleep on the ground but move hardly at all hanging. The magic is no pressure points once your lay is figured out.

Iago Vazquez
    BPL Member

@iago

I am primarily a side sleeper in bed, and toss and turn. No problem with the hammock. Before I started investing more money in a backpacking full kit, I started taking naps in my backyard and progressively moved to sleeping in the yard overnight. And then things went on from there.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Ideal bed solution for tiny living spaces.

Thanks for the thread and some love for this sub forum that I fought for.

Hanging since ‘99

Happy to show and tell here in Chico. Actually have a setup out on loan now converting yet another groundling :)

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

10 ft. I will only use my tarp if rains windy or snow. I got Hammock gear cuben hex tarp, 11 foot. I also have MLD cuben asym tarp.. but the difference in weight and size between the 2 .. for me, i just as well always carry the Hammock gear tarp.  More dry space under it or even sun protection (a bit), if needed.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools