Topic

Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 Review

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Companion forum thread to: Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 Review

This Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid 4 review features a lightweight shelter that can be used for mountaineering or family backpacking trips.

Richard Mueller
    Spectator

@richca

Locale: Western USA

Thank you for the review. Just in the last week or two, I have been seriously considering this tent. I have read somewhere and kind of see in pictures that the DCF material is sort of like translucent or seems to be somewhat. If this tent was set up in a regular campground with other campers pretty close by, how much privacy do you have inside the tent? I mean, can other people see what your doing inside the tent whether it is daytime or your in the tent at night with a light? Thanks for any replies.

Richard Mueller
    Spectator

@richca

Locale: Western USA

I’ve also thought about purchasing the HLMG floored insert for the Ultamid 4 because I like its height, door configuration, floor material, etc. The ultamid 4 outer tent is ideal but I’m holding back temporarily because of the price. So, I have thought of getting a silnylon outer tent for the ultamid 4 floored insert. However, from the options available such as from MLD, Locus gear, BWD, their 9×9 silnylon pyramids I don’t think are high enough to adequately cover the 75″ height of the ultamid 4 floored insert without these pyramids being off the ground like a foot or so. Short of having a silnylon pyramid outer specially made or resorting to a 10×10 which I don’t really want to do,  I would welcome any suggestions. The Oware 9×9 pyramid I think is supposedly 72″ in height. Is this from the ground up or with the tent off the ground some? I don’t know and also the Oware does not have any vents up top and the doors don’t seem to open as high up the tent as the ultamid 4 or other pyramids. I am also not sure exactly the makers of these tents such as the ones listed above or the ones Doug campares the ultamid 4 too get their heights from? For example, in the question and answer on the ultamid 4 on the HLMG website, an answer was given from HLMG that if you set the ultamid 4 down to the ground, the height of the tent would be 70″, presumably not the 75″ stated which must be with the tent off the ground 5″ or so. MLD list their supermid at 70″ height, is this from off the ground or from the ground? If from the ground, then a silynylon supermid might work with the ultamid 4 floored insert though it is still 3″ or so less in length and width than the ultamid 4. My guess is that the 70″ stated height of the supermid is off the ground some odd inches and 70″ is not the same as the stated height of the ultamid 4 stated height of 75″. Thanks for any feedback and help.

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Thanks!

J C
    BPL Member

@joomy

There is precisely zero reason the mesh insert should reduce floor area when the floored insert doesn’t. This seems like a really poorly designed after thought of an accessory. I can think of several ways to improve it that would add very little weight or complexity.

HMG may be good at building gear but I really question their design chops. Seems to me their most successful products are just DCF clones of existing designs with little or no innovation.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

It’s not translucent- you have full privacy. It does let a lot of light pass- its bright, but you can’t see through it.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Hi Richard, your height question is valid, because these shelters all have a variable height- you can pitch them at ground level, with a few inches for ventilation (which is typical), or even much higher. I’m sorry that I don’t have a good answer to your question, but I’d be looking at the Luna 6 if you wanted a silnylon tent for this inner- it is the one that comes to mind that is slightly bigger. Best of luck!

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Hi JC- I agree that the mesh inner could have some improvements- I think the idea was to have it drape down to be tucked under groundsheets, much like the original floorless tarptents, but it does decrease the usable space, which is limiting. There are certainly some improvements that could be made, but my experience with HMG products in general (I have several) is that they are very well designed and constructed. That’s my opinion.  Thanks- Doug

David M
    BPL Member

@elem3nt

Could you elaborate on this shelter’s use as a mountaineering tent? Would/have you used this as your only shelter on a glacier? Wondering how it would work for shorter (<4 day) trips on standard routes in the Cascades, Cordillera Blanca, etc.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Hi David,

i have not used this particular tent on a glacier yet, but I have used similar mids on glacier climbs on several trips before. I have used this one on subalpine rock and in very windy conditions. It’s a great shelter in these conditions and yes, it will be with me on glacier climbs in the Cascades very soon.

It’s a super durable shelter and the design does well in high winds. There are multiple guy out points that are bomber. In these conditions, I’d pitch it low to the ground, and a wind break around the perimeter will help, because you can’t get a complete seal as you do in a single wall tent. With groundsheets, you!ll have room for 3 adults with lots of gear inside. If it’s buggy, just add an insert and you’re set.

Shorter trips, longer trips- same story

Hope that helps!

Po
    BPL Member

@porterscout

The difference in weight between an MLD Sil Supermid and Ultamid 4 is 6oz.That’s $485 to save 6oz between two people.

Cuben durability is exaggerated, I’ve owned a Sil and Cuben mid side by side for 2 years. A friend of mine owns an Ultamid+Floored inner, I currently own a Cuben Supermid+Inner. We both agree the craftsmanship on both the Supermid and it’s inner are more mature and have better features than the Ultamid. Another thing to note is that my fiend and I both have had to replace the sliders at least once a year on the cuben mids, something we haven’t had to do once on Sil mids that have thrice the field time on them. It’s easy to replace a slider, but it says something about the extra tension applied from cuben. MLD backs up the door with a flap, two sets of snaps and a snap+buckle at the bottom. This might seem like overkill until the zipper fails in the field and have no backup, which will happen at some point.

As for cuben being stronger, this is not a real world advantage. Sil shelters with quality tieouts have stood the test of time. If you want to tell yourself this is a practical advantage and spend an absurd amount of money for it that is your choice.

Reapplying tension to a Sil pyramid is as easy as raising the pole a couple inches, it can be done from the comfort of your sleeping bag.

I am not trying to bag on HMG. Cuben has its advantages but they are trivial and in my opinion its a poor value. I was curious about it and fell for the hype, I’ve been disappointed. Plus Sil Nylon has it’s own minor advantages. Bottom line is quality Sil is every bit as real world capable as Cuben, if not more so in my experience. That money can be saved to be applied toward other things that will drop weight or actually improve your experience in ways that are much more meaningful and practical.

Doug Johnson
    BPL Member

@djohnson

Hi Po,

Thanks for sharing your experiences; you bring up some good points.

First, you bring up a comparison between the Hyperlite Mountain Gear Ultamid and the Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid.  I’ve not used the Supermid, but I have been using Mountain Laurel Designs products for years- since the days when Ron Bell sold his products on eBay.  I have always found their quality to be outstanding.  I have also found HMG products to be of the highest quality, and I’ve owned several of their products as well.  I do like the design of the Supermid vent (I don’t love the Ultamid vent designs, as mentioned in the review) and I also like the mid-door snap for a partially open door- those appear to be good features.

I disagree with your durability claim regarding cuben.  Having had many silnylon products and now many cuben products including packs, tarps, stuff sacks, and shelters, my experience has been quite different.  With the exception of some early cuben products with very thin material, I have found cuben to be much more durable than silnylon.  Since writing the review, the Ultamid has had many more nights in the field including snow, high winds, kids wrestling inside, canoe camping on gravel, etc.  It has been my primary shelter and I’ve used it a lot.  Outside of two minor holes in the mesh, the shelter is showing no wear.  This was not the case with my previous mid made of silnylon, which showed more wear with similar usage, and I’ve found silnylon products in general to be less durable.  I have also found this increased durability to be the case with other cuben products by HMG, ZPacks, and Mountain Laurel Designs.  Now, is silnylon durable enough for most usage?  Sure!  It is certainly a viable material.  But in my experience, silnylon is definitely less durable than comparable cuben fabrics.

Your concern about zipper sliders is interesting, and I’m going to look for this through further use in the field.  My experience thus far has not been the same as yours; the sliders of my cuben shelters (3 different ones) have not been a problem at all.  I did have to replace the sliders of silnylon shelters in the past, but I suspect this was more from usage, sand/silt, and slider size than the shelter fabric.  I have found that it’s possible to over-stress a zipper in silnylon shelters as well.  I have found the waterproof zipper of the Ultamid to be waterproof in long Washington rain storms as well as wind-blown slush in the Cascades, and I’ve also found the single snap at the base of the zipper to be effective at reducing tension on the zipper.  Keep in mind that my young children use the zipper in the Ultamid a lot, and they’ve made plenty of mistakes, even falling through the door when it was partially unzipped from the top; the zipper is holding up extremely well.

I agree with you regarding fabric tension when using an adjustable center pole in a mid- it is very easy to increase the height and the tension, making this a non-issue.  Using a fixed center pole or guyouts is a slightly different story, as is wall tension in shelters other than mids.  I agree with you, though, that this is a relatively minor point.

Regarding weight and cost, I completely hear your point there. The Mountain Laurel Designs Supermid has a $435 upcharge for cuben, which saves 7 ounces.  That is more than double the cost of the silnylon Supermid.  Is that worth it?  That is completely up to the user.  If durability is an issue, you can buy a new shelter for less money!  I think that silnylon is certainly a viable alternative and clearly the better value.  For me, though, having the increased durability and 1/2 pound less weight on my back when I’m carrying gear for a family of four is significant, and worth it to me.  But I also own carbon fiber bikes, when aluminum is clearly a better value.  I drive an older car and recently slept in a Cabela’s parking lot to save $100 when picking up a new Northstar canoe (made of carbon fiber, naturally).  Is this tent expensive?  No doubt about that, and I certainly respect the decision to choose silnylon.

Thanks again for your comments- I think they add to the overall review.

Doug

Jonathan Pangburn
    BPL Member

@jmpangburn

Locale: Central Coast, CA

I’ve used my Ultamid 4 for ~3 years now, and I’m super happy with it. It was an anxious purchase, at the price, but it allows me to carry food and shelter for a group of up to 5 (3 kids). I’ve had zero issues with the zipper, snaps, locs, guy lines, etc. Amazing quality.

I second your point about the vents, though. They’re silly. Having said that, though, I’ve had no real issues with condensation, even after a week of non-stop rain on the coast. I just use a ground cover, with no insert. It offers no insect protection, but boy is it a great setup.

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Hey Doug, can you give an update on the UltaMid 4? How has it held up?

I’m on the waiting list, intend to use it at Mt Rainier for Wonderland trail, and trips to Montana and Wyoming with wife. And summer car camping with family.

Thinking of getting the HMG ground cloth and later adding the bug netting.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

@alg: Hope you don’t have other shelters in your Wonderland party, unless you get the group sites. The regular sites are pretty small.

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Good point on the UltaMid 4 being too big. UltaMid 2 probably as well.  I’m preparing to go solo.  Will check out bivy/tarp option.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think the Ulta-mid 4 would be okay if it’s the only shelter. We had four small shelters, literally right next to each other, at most sites. An Ulta-mid 2 by itself would fit fine.

Al G
    BPL Member

@alg

Good. Will go for the UltaMid2 and ground tarp. Thanks!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools