Topic

How your clothes are poisoning our oceans and food supply

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web How your clothes are poisoning our oceans and food supply

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

First drugs, now plastics. Kill me now…

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

maybe plastics could be made to be bio-degradeable

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

I don’t want my fleece to be bio-degradable.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

As corollary, check out Christopher Jordan‘s photography.

The Midway and Camel Gastrolith works are along a similar vein.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Wow Craig. That’s really disheartening.

This line from Midway about says it all: “…we first-world humans find ourselves lacking the ability to discern anymore what is nourishing from what is toxic to our lives and our spirits.”

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

We need more artists to cover these topics, or at least team with journalists.  I think Jordan’s images have the potential to get far more people to connect with these issues than straightforward writing.  He’s quite powerful.

The article you linked is…well…sobering?  If we can’t even manage the waste we can see…

I had a good scare during September of last year.  A regular surf spot is within 1 mile of the Hyperion sewage treatment plant…The spot is literally called “Shitpipe”.  Treated water is discharged 5 miles out to sea via this pipe.  It was closed for repairs and recent rains had overwhelmed their system.  Something about a pump malfunction and an open pipe that hadn’t been flushed in 10 years…all of its contents discharged only one mile offshore.  Unbeknownst to me, I surfed the spot for two days…By the third day, as I’m walking out to surf at sunrise, I discover currents have washed up literally thousands of plastic tampon applicators, condoms, and syringes…among loads of other more benign plastic trash.  I’d never seen anything like it.  I can’t imagine how much was out there that we couldn’t see.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I wouldn’t mind my stuff bio degrading as long as it didn’t happen until I was done using it

A wool shirt bio degrades, but only after I’m done using it

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

A related story in Scientific American: Man-Made Pollutants Found in Earth’s Deepest Ocean Trenches

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Would there be an “easy” way to affix a homemade filter on the end of the discharge hose?

I really love my fleece and I’d rather not get rid of them.

Checking Amazon, there are plenty of lint filters for washing machines and YouTube has many DIY videos on the topic. Would these filters trap these small particles?

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Simon just pinged me with a PM.  I guess to represent the Chemical Engineering / Environmental Engineering contingent of BPL.

The studies findings make sense.  Synthetic fibers are very long lasting.  They kind of have to be.  They have to tolerate mechanic stress as a garment, UV light when worn, high air temperatures in a closed car and in the clothes dryer, high water temperatures and caustic detergents in the clothes washer.  I’ve got Patagonia shells and Baggie Shorts from 1984 that still work fine (give or take the elastic bits).

And POTWs (Publicly-Owned wastewater Treatment Works), your citys’ sewer treatment plants aren’t designed to remove these fibers.  They are designed to remove big chunks (with big screens), floating stuff (with weirs), sinking stuff (with settling tanks), degrade fertilizers and nutrients (by adding “food”), degrade organics (by adding atmospheric air and/or hyperbaric oxygen), and sometimes to kill infectious organisms (with chlorine or ozone).

But these fibers are very close to water’s density and their very large surface area compared to their weight mean they don’t float or sink in time to be settled out.  Obviously, something like the lint trap in your dryer could catch many of them at the POTW, but, man!, that would be a slow process (meaning a lot of area/volume would be needed) and the screens would have to continually be cleaned.

What can you do?  Well, if you’re on a septic system like I am, none of your wastewater flows directly in pipes to the ocean (even though I live on the Ocean).  Rather, it flows through 100 of feet or typically a few miles of soils before it gets to surface water, so you’ve buried those fibers in the ground.  But if your wastewater goes to a POTW and hence to a river or ocean outfall, then your fleece sweater is probably contributing to the problem.  My simplest suggestion is to switch to a front-loading washing machine.  When I did, my clothes produced a lot less lint in the dryer, so I’m sure they lost less lint in the discharged water, too.  The most striking thing is when I take a cloth dinner napkin out of the washer and it is still folded like how I put it in.  It’s clean now, but still folded!  It is that much more gentle a process. So my clothes last longer, front loaders use less water, therefore less hot water (= energy), and less detergent.  And you can wash down garments and quilts at home instead of schlepping them to the laundromat to use their front loaders.

One quote from the article seemed off base, “I don’t want to have eaten fish for 50 years and then say, ‘Oh, whoops’,” Treinish said.  Good grief!  The risk of these fibers holding many more PCBs, than, say, the fish’s own tissues seems far fetched to me.  The well-known range of toxics in fish IS real – mercury in large tuna and swordfish, PSP seasonally in shellfish, higher levels of toxins in farmed fish, as are the health benefits of consuming younger fish from cleaner waters (like the 3/4-year old sockeye salmon I catch in my town).

Simon Kenton
    BPL Member

@simonbutler

Thanks for posting David (and representing the Ch.E and Env.E BPL contingent). Your contributions to the community are invaluable!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools