Topic

How to get your hiking partner to share more stuff

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How to get your hiking partner to share more stuff

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

i hike with a few different people, including friends, my husband, and people I don’t know (through a hiking club). Most people don’t pack light, either because they don’t know how, don’t know that it’s possible, or don’t care. My husband for example, will bring all kinds of stuff – like a large bottle or tube of sunscreen for a three day trip. He doesn’t mind the weight; he’s incredibly strong and sturdy. But I’m not, I have to go light, and if we planned together, we could both bring less (sharing toothpaste, soap, sunscreen, a phone, etc.). i have a similar situation with one group of friends in particular, three women, all of whom like to overpack and somewhat expect me to do the same, e.g. bring more food than I agreed to for sharing, being extra fuel although it wasn’t on my list, etc. I’d feel terrible just mooching off these people, even off my old man, but it’s awfully tempting!

Even on trips with folks I don’t know, if we did just a small amount of planning, we could save on some gear – first aid supplies, water treatment, etc.

Any great ideas for negotiation on trip planning and packing? I know a lot of you go alone, maybe for this reason!

Jamie S
    Spectator

@geargeek

I’ve found by printing a list of gear AND weights and then pulling together a pre-trip gear review gathering to discuss what makes sense to take and what items may be “community” items is a good first step into reducing the overall group loads.  When they see the weight reduction opportunities, they are sure to jump on the band wagon.  Left alone, most likely everybody will pack their gear as if they are going solo.  Having a pre-trip discussion can help reduce your weight in my experience.  Good luck and enjoy the hike!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

A great thread on the same subject started by Kat,

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/45011/

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

My hiking partner is my wife.  We share a lot of things, and break the gear up along these lines:

I take the tent, the food, towels, maps., headlamps, navigation stuff, and the water gear.  Obviously, my pack includes the bear can along with the food.

She takes the cook kit, the toilet kit, and the FAK.

We each carry our own clothes, sleeping bags, sleeping pads, toiletries, and “extra personal stuff.”

For a five day trip, that works out to me carrying about 32 pounds, and she carries about 22.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Karen, I usually hike alone for exactly the reasons you mentioned.  I have also found that “shared” gear often does not garner the same respect as someone’s personal gear; for that reason alone I am reluctant to share gear with folks (other than husband or family).  Perhaps I have not done a good job of vetting backpacking partners, but at this point my load is light enough that it is easy to carry everything I need.

Conversely, I have been on more than one trip in the past where I was dependent on someone else providing stove or filter or whatever, and THEIR gear malfunctioned.  I am prepared to handle a minor gear breakdown on my own, but I neither want to be responsible for nor be at the mercy of others depending on me or me depending on others.  YMMV.

terry tiedeman
    BPL Member

@terry62

Karen, I agree with Jenny. With an ultralight setup it is easy to bring everything I need so I am not at a hiking partners mercy or at risk of gear failure or someone forgetting to bring what they were supposed to. For me it is a safety issue. Having a light pack greatly reduces the risk of injury. I have been with someone who tore some ligaments in his foot WAY out in the wilderness partially due to the very heavy pack he was carrying. I had to leave him and hike out for 22 hours straight to get help. He ended up getting helicoptered out, and no problems. Now I have strict rules about who I go into the backcountry with. Only prepared reliable people who can handle themselves and don’t put me or themselves at risk by overloading on gear. Just my 2 cents!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools