Topic

How to filter out stuff from melted snow.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking How to filter out stuff from melted snow.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

On the last winter trip I did where I had to melt snow, I was terrified to find a boiled spider in my nalgene the next day.  Any tricks for keeping melted snow water clean?  I tried the coffee filter thing but I was struggling with that and I kept spilling hot water on my paws.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You can buy a small metal mesh strainer at the supermarket or hardware store for 3 or 4 bucks that gets all the pieces of bark and pine needle and I guess spiders out of the melted snow water.  It just needs to be big enough to fit over your wide mouthed Nalgene.  You also develop the habit of not looking too closely at your water.:-))

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If you took the chunks out, it wouldn’t be crunchy, now would it?!? – paraphrased from Monty Python

One of these plastic coffee filter holders costs about $5, holds a coffee filter so it drains well and directs the filtered water into a mug/nalgene.  If you never use it to make coffee, it won’t impart any taste.

Smaller, lighter and quicker draining would be a mesh filter sold to catch chunks in a sink or bathtub.  Walmart has a set of 3 sizes for $4 online.  Less, if I recall, in the store.

rick .
    BPL Member

@overheadview

Locale: Charlotte, NC

Cone filter Dave posted works great, but I found a funnel that holds the filters well for like 0.4oz. Works great for coffee or snow, but not all at once!

BC Bob
    Spectator

@bcbob

Locale: Vancouver Island

I use this little plastic kitchen strainer as a pre-filter.  I hacked down the handle.  I don’t use it with boiling water but just fired up the kettle and tested it and there’s no sign of any damage.  Weighs 6 grams.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I use one of these when necessary. If I want it to, it’ll fold down over the bottle and I can secure it with a rubber band to keep my hands clear.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Good suggestions above, and I’ve used a variation of all of them at times.

Another thing that works is a fuel funnel with a filter, which addresses the issue of pouring from a hot pot into a small-mouth bottle. I’ve used one of these before and it works pretty well depending upon how much flotsam, jetsam and schmutz is in the snow. Sometimes by late spring quite a collection of debris has built up.

However, if you find you’ve forgotten your filter, you’ll discover that when the water starts approaching the boiling point that most of the larger chunks will float to the top and gather around the side of the pot, where they can often be scooped out easily with a spoon. Not sure if this applies to spiders….

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Noseeum netting and shock cord loop. .1oz

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Great suggestions!   Thanks guys!  I’ll try the noseum mesh/rubber band trick first and see how that goes.  Hopefully I won’t be drinking anymore spiders.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I’ve tried a couple of the “filters” mentioned, and they work fine. I recently came up with one I like a bit better (because I made it myself). Left to right in this photo: the Coghlan’s fuel filter, which as mentioned is sweet for narrow mouth bottles like a Platypus (.65 oz.); a MSR Mugmate that works great with a standard Nalgene 1-liter bottle (.9 oz.); my MYOG version made with nylon mesh from a paint filter, sewn onto a circle of titanium rod (you could also use a length of a coat hanger). It weighs .095 oz.

Here’s the Coghlan’s filter in a polycarb 1-liter Nalgene bottle. I don’t recommend using polycarbonate bottles in winter, but rather the far more durable Lexan ones. I used this bottle for the photos, so that the attached lid of a Lexan one doesn’t get in the way.

The MSR Mugmate wedges securely into the bottle:

My MYOG paint filter slips over the top of the bottle securely, and it is easily removed to be placed on a second bottle:

Here’s a look at the paint filter sitting next to the Nalgene:

But really, there’s a lot of ways to filter out pine needles and mouse droppings. In a pinch, I’ve used a bandana, a couple pieces of 4″ x 4″ cotton gauze with a rubber band to secure them to the bottle, and even a spare wool beanie once.

One thing to be sure of–if your snow bank is tinted pink in places, find another place to get your snow. The pink is from algae or bacteria or something, and these techniques will not filter that out. Bad things might happen if you drank some of those cooties.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Intestinal discomfort from Watermelon snow.

My MYOG solution is much like Gary’s. But I used shock cord instead of wire so that it stays firmly attached while filling in running water.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

I just try to fill my pot with the cleanest stuff I see. Usually that means scraping off the surface snow to get the cleaner stuff that is underneath. Then once it’s melted, I pour slowly so that the big stuff sinks to the bottom of the pot. Little stuff I don’t worry about. And you can’t pass up the boiled spider – that’s free extra protein that you didn’t have to carry in!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools