Topic

How to compare insulating insoles?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to compare insulating insoles?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

Hi there,

I’ve got a pair of toasty feet insoles (aerogel): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005ZUI7N2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and a pair of these:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00DWSX3LA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

which are twice as thick. And I wonder which ones insulate better if I’m standing on snow/ice.

How could I measure/compare this? I’ve only got a laser thermometer.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

If the thicker ones have greater insulation they may not be warmer if they cramp your feet in your boots. If you already have both then I think some experimentation with fit is in order first. My Sorbothane insoles are thicker and warmer than my Superfeet ones but meant I could only wear one pair of socks in my mountain boots and also the Superfeet were less sweaty, probably due to the holes punched in them

Martin D
    BPL Member

@natlife

I wanted to test a few insoles some years ago. What I did was simply boil a pot of water, sandwich a kitchen thermometer between the insoles, put the hot pot on the insoles with 20 pounds added on the pot and take readings for 10 minutes to see which one had the most favorable heat transfer curve. That’s not ideal as the temperature delta was quite larger than real world usage, and absolute temperatures not quite realistic, but I was satisfied it was sufficient to rank insoles relative to one another.

Christoph Blank
    BPL Member

@chbla

Locale: Austria

That sounds like a reasonable idea – I think I will try that!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Also consider if the insoles have open cell foam or other water-retaining materials. Waterlogged insoles take forever to dry and likely are less warm that non-permeable insoles. For example, the Dr. Scholls Sport Gel insoles have a foam material adjacent to the foot that retains water a long time, even though the gel portion of the insoles retains no water and dries instantly.

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Here is the way I did it when I was trying to chose in early 2018 when my feet were getting cold in the mountains.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5q3en18rqthp8me

I never wrote this up, so you can just enjoy the images.  However, as a simple guide–colder temperatures win.  I have been using the Sole Insulated Reponse as a result of the test.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools