Topic

How to add notes to iPhone photos?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How to add notes to iPhone photos?

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Locale: Bay Area, CA, USA

I’d like to add a note to a photo on my iPhone to remind myself where I was, what I was doing, etc. Anyone know if there’s a way to do this?

I’d really like to find an integrated solution. If I just made a note in another app and forgot to make a note on one photo, I’d be out of sync when I compared them later. Or if I deleted a photo during the trip, but forgot to delete the note.

And/or how do you (easily) keep track of when and where and what your photos are taken?

Thanks, Doug

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado
    Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

You want to do all this on your iPhone using default Apple apps, yes?

To add GPS data:
    “Tap into Settings, and then tap on Privacy. Next, tap on Location Services and make sure they are on. If they are already on, swipe down to the Camera app icon and toggle that switch to ON as well. Now when you take photos the location data will save along with them.”
    Also lot of Youtube videos on how to do this.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Go to the Apple photo app, edit, click on the circle with three dots, markup, blue circle with plus sign, text, tap on the text box, edit, and then type.

I’ll add more screenshots later after I resize them. 

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

@Greg—No, my iPhone 5S wouldn’t be able to handle iOS 12!

@Bruce
    —I wouldn’t mind using a non-Apple app if it somehow piggy-backed on the native Photo app, which I imagine is highly unlikely. So, maybe I answered my own question. I mean, I’d like to still be able to use the picture-taking features of the Photo app on the phone and on my Mac.

So, how do you all keep track of what and where your photos are of/at?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

@Ian—I’m on iOS 10.3.3. I got to Markup, but don’t see a blue cirlce with plus sign. Is that new in iOS 11?

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Oh sorry Doug. I’m not sure.  It’s in the bottom right corner on my phone

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

“No, my iPhone 5S wouldn’t be able to handle iOS 12!”

My 5S does just fine with it installed Doug.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Doug
    if you see the menu option markup, touch it and the next menu option is a slider off on slider option. Once on, you have the text option plus a bunch of pen stylus options to add mark ups or writing to the image.

What I proposed just adds a GPS tag to the EXIF data.

Cheers
    Bruce

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades
    Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Doug—Thanks for the link. It’s a little different from my iOS, but I found the Text tool in Markup. Now I see how to add text…on top of the photo. Close, but no cigar.

I want to add info associated with a photo, not add stuff to the photo itself. I would like to preserve the pretty picture I took without words over it.

Am I missing something, or is that what Markup does?

Doug Coe
    BPL Member

@sierradoug

Ken—Thanks for pointing out iOS12 works on your iPhone 5S. When iOS 11 came out I read that it slowed the 5S down a fair bit. I just did a search and read that iOS12 is actually faster than 11 and only fractionally slower than 10 on that phone. Who knew?!

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Doug,

Another option would be to open notes, plus sign at the bottom, add photo from library, type notes below photo

Jack R. Abbit
    BPL Member

@kuhlwind

Locale: Just over the Edge

Check out DayOne Journal app. A friend showed me his on his iphone and used talk to text, adding notes of the pictures while he took the picture, on the go, or later very easily. I’ve got to see if it works on my Samsung!

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

You’re welcome Doug. I just did the latest updates and no weirdness. Good luck. Super easy to add notes to photos right from the photo.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Doug, it sounds like you want to edit “metadata”. Bruce’s GPS suggestion is metadata as well (and extremely useful IMO).

I think there are several iOS metadata viewer/editor apps out there. I can’t recommend one but you might be able to find something that would edit the metadata on images in your Photos on the phone. One advantage of this is the metadata will travel with the image when it you email/text/download/etc.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Photo Notes app (free) works well for this-I assume you are looking to add detailed notes about picture not just pasting text on top of picture.

John K
    BPL Member

@kaptainkriz

I use google photo app for this. Integrates well with iOS, and you can add a description to individual photos as well as the photo album once associated with the app.

Lowell Mills
    BPL Member

@farmhand357

Doug, I have an iPhone 5SE (essentially the same as your 5S) and I too am running iOS 12.1.2.  Works fine…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools