Topic

How Reliable Are Steripens?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) How Reliable Are Steripens?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

Trying to decide whether to lay out the money for the newest UL automatic start/stop USB-rechargeable model.

My brother has been through two and doesn’t use them anymore because he had failures in the field, but it has been many years since then. There was a BPL thread on this subject back in 2009, and a review on another website from 2019, both of which discussed reliability issues.

I’d like to hear from people who have used a Steripen in the last 1-3 years, please and thank you.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Ultra user here.  Two years of use with no problems.

Minor quibble: the USB port cover can be inadvertently pulled out when disconnecting the charging cable.  Re-installation requires a small phillips screwdriver, a very small needle nose plier, and faith.  Without the cover all electronics are directly vulnerable to splash or rain. Tape would suffice as a temporary fix.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

I think my Adventurer is 5-6 years old w/ no problems whatsoever (I changed one small o-ring a while back that they sent me for nothing).

No experience with the rechargeable one.

Anything electronic has at least some chance it will fail, I always carry a dozen (or two depending on trip length) Aquatabs as a backup for a fraction of ounce.  Pump/squeeze filters can fail as well.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I’ve been using a Steripen Classic 3 and/or Ultralight model for over 3 years now. I’ve treated hundreds of liters with no problems. For me, it’s been more reliable than a Katadyn BeFree filter! I extend my battery by using chemicals to treat water overnight, giving me safe water for breakfast and to start the day with.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

I used Steripens for 4-5 years. I had both the Adventurer Opti and the Freedom.

The only failure I recall was my own failure to charge the darn thing prior to leaving home.

I switched to a BeFree in 2017 when I realized that I didn’t even want to wait the 90 seconds a Steripen needs.

However, I wouldn’t hesitate to use a Steripen again.

In my experience Steripens have not been more failure-prone than mechanical filters. I have had filters fail.

Like Mike (and many others), I carry tablets as a back-up, regardless of what my primary means of treating water is.

Mark Fowler
    BPL Member

@kramrelwof

Locale: Namadgi

I have had a Steripen Freedom (USB rechargeable) since 2013. It only gets intermittent use but still going strong. I found that it would still operate after the battery had run down if a power bank was plugged in to recharge it. Didn’t need to wait for the recharge to finish.

I believe most issues were around the CR123A rechargeable batteries being of dubious quality and often not having enough fire power to deliver the startup requirements of the Steripen.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I got one of the big, early models – one that took 4 AA batteries.  It seemed like alkaline batteries didn’t always keep up with its current draw and would generate an error and even with lithium AAs, it would go flat long before the claimed number of liters (when used on multiple trips).  I theorized it was because, with a smart switch, it much have some circuitry powered at all times to look at the smart switch.  I found removing one battery until I hit the trail solved that.

Another early model I had took CR123A batteries and maybe the issue was marginal batteries?  I was using the cheapest bulk CR123A’s off of eBay.

Their smallest, lightest rechargeable one ($59 at the time?) has always worked perfectly for me.  Recharging it before each trip reassures me it is ready to  go.  I used to use the largest, 32-ounce Gatorade bottles, until I studied up on much difference good agitation makes.  Now I go with a wider-mouth water “bottle” like a repurposed Planters peanuts PETE “jar” in which I can stir the SteriPen around like a spoon.

The Red-Cross-branded ones on eBay have crept up in price, but might still among the cheaper options:

I just posted a link.  Stupid BPL software made it into an image, instead.

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

I got mine at Costco several years back (an early Classic model?); it always works as long as I use Lithium batteries. I always carry Aquamira or tablets as backup.

I did have one failure on day 3 of an 8 day trip – operator error where I accidentally dunked the Steripen in water for several minutes. Water got into the batteries and the Steripen stopped working. It worked fine when I got back from the trip – it wasn’t working for a couple days after the immersion after which I stopped checking.

Anymore I see no reason to use filters where I normally hike in the Sierra where the water is usually pretty good.

I also have used different models of Steripen while traveling in countries where the water is suspect. On one trip there were six of us traveling together for two weeks with two Steripens between us; we never had a failure (of the Steripen or our guts) and we only drank water treated with the Steripens. I think that was the heaviest duty use of a Steripen I ever saw.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Thanks for the feedback everyone!

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

I have used Steripens off and on with few problems.  However, when I started using Smart Water bottles rather than wide mouth Nalgenes, I wasn’t sure if I was still purifying the entire bottle, so I’ve tended not to use mine.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Yeah, like Pedestrian, our heaviest use of SteriPen is traveling in Second-World countries (back when we could do that).  We’re using it on hiking trips to treat stream water, but also all the tap water we drink at our lodging and then we treat more tap water and take it with us for walking around town that day.

Russ W
    BPL Member

@gatome83

Locale: Southeastern US

My SteriPen Ultra was 100% reliable for about 3 years of use over 4 seasons. The cover of the charging port became detached like a few other commenters have mentioned. Then, last August on a 10-day trip in the Sierras,  after charging to 100% prior to the hike, it would not work and additional attempts to reset and recharge were futile. I spent 10 days limping along with my buddy and a Sawyer Mini, which was painful to say the least.

The silver lining occurred when I contacted the company and the immediately sent me a new device, no questions asked. Extremely responsive.

I recently went on a similar trip and used a Befree and Aquamira combination, which worked well. I haven’t totally given up on the Steripen, but as with all things electronic, carrying a backup such as Aquamira is probably wise.

Stan B
    BPL Member

@stanbiker

I will add that the alkaline batteries are NOT the way to go. My first trip with my new classic 3 was not a success. It only worked for 2 liters. I haven’t been back out with the lithium batteries yet, so hopefully they work better.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

For day hikes and 4-day trips, I really like my rechargeable SteriPen.  For a long hike – PCT, AT, etc (or a big group), I’d lean towards a modern in-line filter and/or gravity system to avoid one more device needing recharging and the possibility of some aspect of recharging going awry.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I use the ultra for winter trips. So far so good.

Adam White
    BPL Member

@awhite4777

Locale: On the switchbacks

For day hikes and 4-day trips, I really like my rechargeable SteriPen. For a long hike – PCT, AT, etc (or a big group), I’d lean towards a modern in-line filter and/or gravity system to avoid one more device needing recharging and the possibility of some aspect of recharging going awry.

@davidinkenai
    I sort of do the opposite!

For short trips, I like a BeFree, because I don’t have to worry about clogging (and it will clog).

For longer trips, I like the Steripen, simply to avoid the clogging issue. I’ll already be recharging a camera on the go, so adding a Steripen isn’t a big deal.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

anyone have any real world numbers on battery life for the Ultralight?  their literature says 10 days/50 liters- that sounds a little too good to be true????

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

MikeM: Each year, I take my Red-Cross-branded (Adventurer?) SteriPen and during an office day, continually treat and retreat the same cup of water, counting (tick marks on a piece of paper) how many cycles I get.  First year it was 21-22 cycles versus the advertised 20.  3 (4?) years now and I got 19 cycles from it this July plus several more, partial, flashy-red-light cycles that still must have done some good.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

Mike –

The product pdf states –

“Treat up to 20 liters of water on a single charge from its high quality USB rechargeable battery which holds charge for months so it is ready when you need it. “

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

sounds like it should last 3-4 days w/o too much problem then- hmmmmm :)

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Like Mike M. i have an 8 year old Adventure SteriPen and no problems.

BUT… I always carry Katadyn chlorine dioxide tablets for my hydration bladder and as backup to my SteriPen (which is only used for my bike bottle).

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I don’t keep track of numbers of liters or anything like that. I don’t even know what model it is! It uses 4 AA batteries and I always use lithium (for the Steripen, not for me). I only know that my device is not in my REI purchase history so it has to be pre-2014! That’s the only place I would have purchased it. Since then I’ve been on many overnight, weekend, and weeklong trips and used it all the time. It has never failed once. Sometimes I have to relearn to use it after a long winter, and I always think it’s failing, then realize it’s user error. It’s also hard to tell when the UV light is on when using it in bright sunlight, but a quick check by covering the bottle reassures me that it’s doing fine. One thing I have noticed after all these years, is that it takes a little longer for the bulb to reach full brightness, so it may be starting to give up the ghost finally. I do bring backup chlorine dioxide tabs just in case, and I always carry a stove, so boiling would be an option.

I like the Steripen. When this one fails I’ll probably get another. It’s lightweight, easy to use, and takes a couple of minutes. I’m not so impatient that I can’t wait 2 minutes, plus I use that time to look around! There’s stuff to see out there that you won’t see by rushing by.

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

I just ordered a Ultralight :)

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

I carry mine in an ultralight belly pack (like, 2 ounces) along with my lunch and a map. That makes for easy access while hiking. I’ve never had a failure over many years but like others I carry iodine tabs as backup (gee I really am old school…). the fanny/belly pack is great for any day trips I may make while out backpacking. Just enough room for a soft nalgene and the steripen and map. Lunch goes in my pocket.

Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

The thing that concerns me about Steripens and filters is, how do you know for certain they’re working? You could have a bad one, but until you get some contaminated water that makes you sick, you don’t truly know.

I still use a filter, but that thought always goes through my head. You know when just about any other piece of gear is broken.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools