Topic

How many use the Caldera Cone (any fuel)

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Food, Hydration, and Nutrition How many use the Caldera Cone (any fuel)

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

That’s a pretty concise and compact setup, Robert. I’m especially impressed with that pot stand.

The Evernew 400 cc pot is fairly interesting. It happens to fit on the bottom of a JB cup, replacing the lame plastic stock one at just a .9 oz. penalty. The EN cup doesn’t quite slip up all the way, but close, and it’s a snug fit. Josh Leavitt’s carbon fiber lid for the JB Sol also works with the EN 400. So for an extra 1.8 oz. (assuming that you would normally leave your plastic bottom cup at home), you have a cup that will do some actual cooking, pre-soak pasta, etc, as well as function as a cup for drinks. One of those plastic lids from a small Crisco can, Ensure powder, or nuts will snap on securely with either the JB Sol cup or the EN 400 cup. This is handy to keep your pre-soak goodies safe from curious mini-bears, as the carbon fiber lid just sits on top and a chipmunk could easily knock it off. Even if the cup is turned upside down nothing will leak out, as the plastic lid is pretty secure.

My main use for the EN 400 ‘cup’ is for shoulder season, or winter hikes, when I want a hot lunch or drink. Its volume is just right to cook up some mac/cheese or a soup. And now we know that with the right soup we can be like Zelph and include a Funky Dumplin’ !

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

I use a modification of the BGET which is an aluminum tray inserted into the original TD Gram Cracker tablet holder.

Eric, how about showing us a photo of the aluminum tray inserted into the Gram Cracker…please and thank you :-)

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Locale: SF Bay Area

Thanks Gary and Rob P for the kind words.

Speaking of lids, I’d love to find a rigid plastic or silicone lid that snaps onto the above-mentioned mugs. The plastic ones I’ve found won’t withstand the heat of boiling and the only thing silicone I’ve found is a S2S Mug which works heat-wise, but I’d rather just have a flat lid. That way I could eliminate the Ti lid and plastic snap on lid combo. So, if anyone finds a flat silicone lid that would snap onto the various 95mm mugs please let us know. I’ve been to a number of pet stores, markets and searched the web, but so far no luck.

And, at the risk of further thread derailment…..for those who go no cook, but, like me, just can’t live without a cup of hot coffee in the morning, and who don’t want to lug around a mug:

pictured with too much Esbit…A quarter cube will do.

80ml of strong, hot, espresso-like goodness  :)

rob

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Rob, Have you ever tried the 8 gram Esbit tablets?

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Not yet Matthew, primarily because nobody carries them locally. So, I’ve just been cutting up the 14 gram cubes as needed. But, I plan to order some from Amazon the next time I place an order for other stuff. However, am I correct that the 8 gram cubes seem to be twice as expensive by weight?

rob

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Ok, I’ll go first Eric…

The BGET fits nice in the Gram Cracker. The little end legs fit so that they hang over the edge of the cracker , makes it so it won’t slide off. Photo is a little bit blurred but it’s the best I can get for today ;-)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Rob, I’m embarrassed to say I never thought about the cost. I make so little coffee/tea these days while hiking I hadn’t thought to do the math. At least on Amazon, it’s about $.10/gram versus $.05/gram. Bummer.

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Matthew, and I’m embarrassed to say I was thinking of the 4 gram tablets.

REI: package of 12 x 14 gram tabs for $7.95 ( 168 total grams )

Amazon: package of 20 x 4 gram tabs for $9.45 ( 80 total grams )

I’m unable to find 8 gram tabs anywhere on a quick search of the web and Esbit’s site doesn’t list that weight tab currently. They do however list packages of 5 gram tabs ,but it doesn’t appear they are sold here ( USA ).

So, I think I may cough up the extra $ anyway and get a box of 4 gram tabs…you know just for the heck of it.

rob

Bean
    BPL Member

@stupendous-2

Locale: California

I’m using the sidewinder ti-tri cone, usually with alcohol. It’s been really great to not fear running out of fuel and to be able to get by with twig fires in a pinch.

One problem though… my wife hates it, and she won’t let me take it if I’m with her. She dislikes how she can’t easily see if the fuel is out; dislikes setting it up; dislikes breaking it down; really dislikes how we can’t leave it setup overnight if it’s windy, and then dislikes having to set it back up in the morning.

I’ll have to try one of these Foster can windscreen/stands, could solve a couple of her complaints. Thanks for sharing @rob-k , and I’ll be making one of these coffee stoves pronto.

Is this what you’re using for the coffee “cup”? http://a.co/2n3U6ne

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Rob, I meant 4 gram. Good catch.

I’m seeing a box of 20 for $7.90 on Amazon Prime at

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Brandon, Gossamer Gear should have more of these Foster kits in stock by next week that will include the new and improved Starlyte burner. Windscreen fits inside the Foster can in the vertical position:

http://gossamergear.com/gvp-stove-system.html

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Brandon,

Yes, that’s it, although maybe a newer version of what I have. The manufacturer, dimensions, weight and material are the same. The one you linked appears to have a lip on the lid that mine doesn’t have and the lid doesn’t look quite as deep as mine, but neither of those would affect anything. As I mentioned, I found mine so who knows how old it is. If I had a piece of Al alloy or steel rod laying around I could just as easily made the ‘stand’ from that, although steel would be a bit harder to bend I suspect.

Matthew,

Thanks, that’s slightly easier on the wallet.

rob

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Robert, stainless steel rod is easy to bend, about like CP titanium . Aluminum on the other hand tends to snap when I try to bend it greater than 90 degrees. Aluminum also doesn’t withstand that heat very well either.

robert k
    BPL Member

@rob-k

Thanks Gary for the info. it sounds like you have more experience bending stuff than me. I was surprised by how easy it was to hand bend the curves in the copper rod, but did use pliers for the four 90 degree bends. My limited experience with steel led me to believe that it might be just ‘a bit harder’. Since I already have a ‘stand’ I’m not going to make a project of experimenting with different metals, but you’re insights may help others. However, if I were to find a piece of thin steel or aluminum rod ,or better yet, A Ti wire stake abandoned at some campsite I’ll give it a go and post the outcome.

rob

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Aluminum on the other hand tends to snap when I try to bend it greater than 90 degrees. Aluminum also doesn’t withstand that heat very well either.
    Could be some serious misunderstanding here. CP aluminium is dead easy to bend – MUCH easier than CP titanium. But a 7000-series aluminium alloy – it will snap if bent too sharply. Annealed copper is easy enough to bend, but it will work-harden quite a bit.

Aluminium melts around 660 C, and works fine as a heat shunt in a canister stove flame. But again, 7000-series alloy will lose its temper (hardness) if heated too much.

Very thin FOIL in any metal can get very hot: the thinness stops the heat from migrating away.

Cheers

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

To elaborate on Roger’s comment, I believe that there are 8 series of aluminum with the top three (6000, 7000 & 8000 being heat treated) .  The remaining series (1000-5000) may be work hardened.  To bend the non-heat treated aluminum, applying a little heat should easily to the trick.  While bending, the joint may get stiff.  Apply a little more heat at the bend.  My 2 cents

Viewing 16 posts - 26 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools