Topic

How does it take up this much room?!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion How does it take up this much room?!

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

There are a lot of links in my post for going lightweight cheaply, it doesn’t have to be expensive and Mike’s book and free videos are also in my link, have you had a chance to look at any of them?

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Perhaps you just need to buy a smaller pack. Then you are forced to make it work.

The REI Flash 45 (I’ve never used one) weighs under 3lbs and retails for $160.

You can probably find a similar size pack used for cheaper on eBay or in BPL Gear Swap.

If you eventually don’t like the pack you get, consider it an inexpensive tuition investment.

R
    Spectator

@autox

On that note, you could mock up a 45L volume from what ever material you can get your hands on (tarp and duct tape?) and use that for the packing exercise.  Once you’ve got the packing list worked out, use the pack you have.

Copy dimensions from listed manufacturer spec’s.  Try to find a pack to copy w/ pockets similar to yours.  That way pocket volume will be included in the 45L.

David K
    BPL Member

@back2basix

Great ideas.  I have an Osprey Farpoint 55 that I could practice with.  If I take off the attachment pack it’s a 40L main bag with no external pockets.  I hadn’t considered using it as a practice pack!

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

When I hiked the PCT I did part of it with an Osprey Aura 65, which I think the 65 stood for 65 liters. Later I switched to a Gossamer Gear G4, which I think is also around 65L. That was a good size for the PCT because I ate a LOT more food than normal.

Now I have a 50L pack and I think that’s the right size. Usually it’s got a lot of unused space, but there is space leftover for if I need it. I never have to scrunch things tight. My sleeping bags (I take two) are never in stuff sacks. I can put wet things in the back pocket or leave the back pocket completely empty. That’s better, in my opinion. If I ever need to put a big bear canister in there it will fit.

Interestingly this weekend I went backpacking with a friend who has a standard giant backpack you’d get at REI but when you lifted both of our stuff it weighed the same. And that’s because she doesn’t bring much stuff at all.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

I think Piper makes a good point about her friends large pack still weighing about the same as hers. From here, I think it’s a question of comfort and convenience. I carry a very comfortable pack with large volume that comes in at 2 1/2 lbs. I think. I wouldn’t want to shrink the pack in order to go with something smaller that wasn’t as comfortable in order to save, say, 6 ounces.

I ended up finding a pack that carries a bear canister, (which is the big non movable object that everything else has to pack around)–best. And a canister requires a pack with large volume.

I carry all the weight on my hips/legs; as such, I have a plush hip belt. It’s heavier than many others, but it makes the pack work for me.

so two rules are:

1) start cutting back on weight with large heavy items like a pack–go with something lighter to save half a pound.

2) choose a pack based on how well it carries a canister and all the rest. If it’s heavier than a pack that’s less comfortable, so be it.

all of life is compromise.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools