Topic

How Does Big Sky Waterproof Its Tents

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear How Does Big Sky Waterproof Its Tents

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

Ive had a Big Sky 2 person tent for a couple of years now.  I’ve had it in enough  heavy rain to know that it is waterproof.  My question is how do they do it?  I’m pleased, impressed and curious.

Thhttps://www.bigskyinternational.com/products/big-sky-chinook-2p-tente

It has external poles and nearly 2 dozen penetrations through the fly.  I can’t find anything that looks like seam sealing compound or taped seams.   Could the waterproofness mostly be a product of the way it is designed and sewn?  The write up says that any seam sealing required is done inn the factory.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

Dazza I have the Revolution (wee sibling to the Chinook basically the same) and seen tape inside the fly but not looked along the seam that attaches the clips. If they have not used tape there that is impressive- that bugger has never let water in anywhere. Top tent.

J-L
    BPL Member

@johnnyh88

I posted a guess down in this thread: https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/102870/

I think their tents are waterproof because of how the seams are sewn. The main seams are all bounded with silnylon. I sold my Chinook a couple years ago but recently bought a 1P Revolution with solid fabric inner – it’s sewn the same way.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

John,

Thanks for the link to the old post.  I forgot about it, even though it was the reason I bought the tent.

Can’t believe that post and my purchase of the tent was 4 years ago.  Time flies.

My model includes the inner solid inner tent (warmer) and the cross pole overhanging porches on both sides (allows open doors in most rains and dry exit/entry).  Fly extends well beyond the tent so no problem with splashing of mud and rain on tent on ends. Tent is noticeably bigger than my MSR Hubba Hubba HP. Foam pads of my wife and I overlap in MSR. There is space between pads in the Revolution.

Even with all these features the fly, tent and poles still weigh only about 3.5 lbs (if I recall correctly).

Cross pole that supports the two front porches crosses the main X poles at a point below the cross point of the X poles.  So the cross pole is supported at two locations (two poles) rather than the one point of support  at the apex of the MSR poles.  Feels much stronger than the single point of  support of the MSR tent.

Overall this is the best of the 2 dozen or so tents I’ve purchased during my life.   A slightly larger zippered window would make kit more comfortable on a warm (80 degree F) night but that’s about all I can think of in terms of improvement suggestions.

Brook / MtGL
    BPL Member

@brookqwr

I  asked the same question many years ago face to face to the founder of Big Sky. I vaguely remembered the answer was “this is something secret”. :-)

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Brook,

“this is something secret”

I don’t blame him.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools