Topic

How do you Edit an existing Post?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website & Forum Support How do you Edit an existing Post?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andy Duncan
    BPL Member

@bluewater

Locale: SoCal

This has been asked in a recent post, but I didn’t see an answer. On the old website it was possible for a user to edit a post that he/she started. On the new website I don’t see the same edit function.

Does anyone know how to edit a post?

Thanks, Andy.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Owing to an someone using this facility to hack a large number of threads, we have had to disable this option. If you need to amend a posting (eg an FS), post a follow up. Note that subsequent postings can be edited – at least for a while.

If there is a really big problem, you can email me. This should seldom be necessary.

Cheers

David T
    BPL Member

@davetee

wait, you can’t edit an existing post of your own????

that’s really bad.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

You cannot edit the starting posting in any thread any more, for reasons I have given. You CAN edit your own replies.,

Cheers

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Based on this information I decided to post a new trip report about Iceland in two parts. First a short post that can’t be edited and then in a reply the full trip report that can be edited. I’m now trying the second day to post that reply. It takes hours to insert all the photos and when I finally press “submit” it takes a while and then nothing is posted. Does anyone know what is happening? Why can’t I reply to my own post? I then even tried to create a new trip report with the full report even if that means I can’t edit it. But that didn’t work either. It’s like I can’t post at all. Let’s see whether this gets posted. Any help is appreciated.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Maybe a temporary glitch

I can see that post

Try a post with just one picture to experiment

I agree, nothing more frustrating than spending a long time creating a post, then having it all go away

Sometimes, nothing will get posted, but if I hit the arrow to click to go forward, it will all reappear and I can try submitting again and then it’ll work

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Hi Jerry,

I tried the “arrow forward” and then resubmitting several times yesterday and today. I tried different browsers – Chrome and IE. Nothing seems to work. I tried to start with a first installment that had just a couple of pictures in case there are size limitations. I guess I will now try with just some text and then try to edit that post and add photos and more text.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

Now it gets even weirder. I posted a reply with just text. It worked. Then I edited it and added photos. After submitting the edit, the original reply with just the text disappeared. This is extremely frustrating.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Computers

They get into your life and make you think they’re useful

As soon as you get dependent on them, they screw with you just to piss you off

I use Chrome  and Vista.  I really need to get a new PC with Windows 10 or something.  Such a pain though to upgrade.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

If you use the insert photo button more than once the posts tend to vanish.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

The thing that frustrates me the the most is that an existing reply can just disappear like it never existed. Editing a post should not result in its disappearance.

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

I think I found the culprit. I have now several times lost my partial trip report. I would start, edit it, add photos, edit it some more, etc. and bang — lose everything after some edit. This happened several times and eventually I realized that it always happened when my edit contained a link. That is quite a “punishment” to lose a complete post if you edit it with a link. Does BPL consider certain links (for example to the Blue Lagoon in Reykjavik) advertising and then removes the whole post? Anyhow I removed all links and got now done with my trip report.

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

You are right, it’s the link button deleting posts.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

oh yeah, you can’t put more than one link in a post

“Does BPL consider certain links (for example to the Blue Lagoon in Reykjavik) advertising and then removes the whole post?”

Computers do not have emotions or intentions and can not think, they just have bugs : )

Manfred
    BPL Member

@orienteering

What frustrates me is that the original post that got edited by me would completely disappear when the edit included links. There was no error message – nothing. After pressing the ‘submit’ button the website would take some time to refresh and then my post had vanished — not just he edits, but everything. That must be a bug and should be fixed.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

1 mb size limit for photos

Do not attempt to insert more than one link in a post

The current software set up absolutely blows, and BPL is suffering, or is making us suffer.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

1.1 Mbyte – error message says file must be less than 1MB

0.96 Mbyte okay:

A bit like Iceland but more trees

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools