Topic

How can I lighten this? DIY suggestions welcome

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear Lists How can I lighten this? DIY suggestions welcome

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anna T
    BPL Member

@anna-t-2

Putting together my first ultralight kit after years of borrowing other people’s gear. This is a general kit for 3 season CA backpacking, mostly in the mountains of Southern California. My next trip will be in Los Padres National Forrest.

I’m pretty happy with the base weight so far but would appreciate feedback on my gear list and any ways you can think of lightening it. Also, if you think I’m missing anything I should have please let me know. I’m especially interested in DIY and multi-use suggestions.

https://lighterpack.com/r/g97cls

Thanks!

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Pretty good list and respectably light kit. You could save several ounces going with a light alcohol stove and 550mL “cup”, or for short trip, go no-cook and save more weight and time. You could save a full pound by skipping the Ursack and the Kindle (you already have an iPhone) and get a light food hang kit (bag, bear line, min-biner).

If you want to save some more weight but spend lots of money, you could drop 10 ounces with a Zpacks Arc Blast or something comparable. And while the Notch fly is fairly light and supper spacious, you could get down under a pound for your shelter system with a cuben shaped tarp and a simple bug net like the STS nano mosquito net.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

It looks good Anna. Some may not bring long underwear or extra undies, but that is personal and no big deal. Have a great time.

Also, I probably would not include my canister of fuel in the weights, empty weight either.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

those are the lightest hiking shoes I have ever seen on BPL ;) and I think you could do better on your warm jacket (Patagonia Nano Air Hoody ) It is heavy for the amount of warmth it provides, HERE is a recent thread for you to read with another link in that thread to look at, but your list looks pretty good, I am more of a tarp person but it may not be your thing, hope you have a lot of fun.

Anna T
    BPL Member

@anna-t-2

Haha, yes, they’re my invisible shoes–lightest I could find.

Thank you for the suggestions everyone! It’s really useful to see what others would change. I definitely plan to get into the cuben fiber world when I have some more funds. Alas, I have a few more years of grad school before that happens. I’ll definitely check out alternatives to the Nano Air.

I went with a Ursack because, from the research I’ve done, it’s seems most versatile in CA. Won’t work in Yosemite, but many parts of SEKI and all of Inyo allow it in place of a bear canister. Correct me if I’m wrong though.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Anna,

I like a lot of the choices you’ve made and don’t have any major suggested tweaks.  That’s a thoughtful selection of high bang-for-the-weight first aid supplies.  Right about where I am for a week-long trip.  A pair of foam ear plugs weigh almost nothing but can REALLY help if camped near a snorer or vehicle use near the trailhead.  You’ve already got dental floss (and I’ll suggest fishing line, below) so I’d add a “glover’s needle” for making repairs.  They’re in the variety pack of needles in a grocery store for about $2.  And one or two big safety pins for quickie on-the-trail gear mods.  Also, in the what-if category: an extra cap for those two water bottles.  Or maybe one mod’ed into a shower head / manual bidet.  I don’t see Biosuds / Dr Bonners soap.  Toilet paper and sunscreen weights didn’t carry through to the total.  Do you use the deuce of spades?  I have a few and really like it compared to commercial ones, but actually, almost always use a stick or rock to dig with.

Stove weight could be cut in half from 1.9 ounces to 0.88 ounces with an $11 BRS-3000T.

For extra cordage, I bring 25 feet of 100-pound-test braiding fishing line at 6 grams.  That’s 1/4 of your current weight.  I find it to be enough for tarp guy lines or an emergency shoe lace.

Spork weight (0.7 ounces) could be cut in half with a longer(!), stronger bamboo spoon.  They don’t feel flimsy like the Ti sporks and hold more in each scoop, even if you retire them after a month of use (they’re a dollar on Amazon search on “BambooMN”.)  You could MYOG one into something even lighter with some whittling or a belt sander.  You might further MYOG the spoon into a toothbrush handle by drilling a hole in the end of the handle to hold only the head of a toothbrush.

If you want a few bamboo spoons and some of the braided fishing line, PM me and I can mail you some.  I buy those in bulk and keep them around.

jared h
    BPL Member

@thundore

unless you want a highly breathable loft jacket, you can replace that nano air with a Montbell Ex Light Anorak. about half the weight, warmer, packs smaller, more water/wind resistance; just not as breathable. i have both, but never carry the nano air when weight is a concern (ski touring, trail running, cycling, climbing), and it is my go to camp layer/sleeping layer in the winter.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools