Topic

How Can Cheap Butane Canisters be Modified to Work With Canister Stoves?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable How Can Cheap Butane Canisters be Modified to Work With Canister Stoves?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Marshall

@andrewsmarshall

Locale: Tahoe basin by way of the southern Appalachians

Roger Caffin discusses how you can modify and use cheap butane canisters with canister stoves in this MYOG article.

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

As an additional note, we have a small one-burner Coleman stove that uses this type of butane for fuel.   It DOES NOT work well below about 40 degrees F (4 C).  that’s a problem if you’re going to be using this fuel in the mountains, and/or any time in the shoulder seasons or winter.

Rob St. John
    BPL Member

@robstjohn

Locale: American Intermountain West

I wonder how many regular canisters made for my stove(s) can I purchase for the cost of a CNC lathe and bits?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

use one of these

$9.99

transfer fuel from one of those cartidges to an empty canister and then use regular stove

yeah, it’s a problem below about 40 F, maybe down to 32 F.  There are techniques for using at cold temperatures

pre covid, I bought cartridges for $1.25 at the Korean grocer.  I don’t feel like shopping, so I bought 12 cartidges for $24 from amazon delivered.  That should do me more than a year.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Rob Paul is quite right about cold weather. For that you need either propane/butane mixes or some very special tricks. But for summer time at low-to-medium altitudes, it’s fine.

The little adapters Jerry showed work well. But only $2-3 from ebay, delivered. Amazon is NOT cheap!

how many regular canisters made for my stove(s) can I purchase for the cost of a CNC lathe and bits?
    CNC lathe AND CNC mill, please.
    Sigh, yeah, but I already had the CNC machinery from stove making.
    OK, a poor excuse. How about ‘having fun’?

Cheers

Emily W
    BPL Member

@wildflower

Well beyond my capabilities….  are you starting a business making these?

Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country

I don’t think that was Rob, Roger.   :>)

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Sorry Paul: posting corrected.

Emily: you don’t need one of my modified adapters if what you have is a ‘conventional’ remote canister stove with a screw-thread connector. You just need the ebay adapter.

Cheers

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Great stuff Roger. You cover the loose ends. My nephew in law has a CNC and laser printer, so can have those made. However, I like Jerry’s approach – just fill a Lindle valve canister with the cheap cans (same as I used on my sailboat for years, as cold weather wasn’t an issue).

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

just fill a Lindle valve canister with the cheap cans
    Ahem.
    Yeah, been there, done that.
    The adapter I modified just lets me skip the refill hassles, that’s all.

Cheers

Philipp Kaiser
    BPL Member

@philippkai1

Liked this writeup. I had good results with the G Works Butane adapter (ebay) and the Soto Windmaster altough the O-ring had to taken out and the diameter just-so slightly reduced with some sandpaper. Use some folding feet to keep it upright. In Japan this was quite useful as the screw-canisters were not that ubiquitous as the wok canisters.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Good article

I bought these https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0022BUT2O/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

$25 for 12 cartridges, 8 ounces each

and use this for $10 to transfer to regular canister

When you transfer, make sure the notch on the cartridge is down, then the line will draw liquid, not gas.  For normal use, the notch should be up.

Yeah, below 40F this fuel starts not working, although these torch lighters work pretty good

1.3 ounces.  If your canister slows down because of cold, just put the flame on it down below

(torch lighter idea and using to make butane work at low temps is David’s idea, not mine:)

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

and, if post covid I go to the Korean grocer, the cartridges are $1.25.  At H mart they’re $1.50.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Yeah, Amazon prices are a bit of a rip-off. Cheaper at local hardware for the cans (AU$5 for 4), and much cheaper on ebay for the adapters.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

If they deliver butane cartridges to my house it’s reasonable they have to charge a little more.

$2 per cartridge is cheaper than good butane canisters, maybe $6 each.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

The interesting thing about the cheap Korean ‘butane’ cans is that they do not contain straight n-butane (BP: 0 C). They most likely contain an equal-parts mix of n-butane (BP: 0 C) and iso-butane (BP: -12 C). Whether they contain any propane is unknown. The stuff is not highly refined.

Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

based on the observed boiling temp, yeah, 50% nbutane, 50% isobutane

as has been discussed before : )

the mixture boils at about 21 F so it operates at maybe 26 F – slowly

I was backpacking this winter.  23 F or so.  My stove slowed down to useless, so I used the David torch on its side.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!