Topic

How Biking to Trailheads Can Enrich Backpacking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable How Biking to Trailheads Can Enrich Backpacking

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

Companion forum thread to: How Biking to Trailheads Can Enrich Backpacking

Mark Wetherington explores how trading auto for bicycle for home-to-trailhead transportation impacts the hiking and backpacking experience.

Dustin V
    BPL Member

@dustinv

Did you have to modify any of your gear list other than the frameless backpack to make it work on the bike? Stiffer shoes?ZA

And is this a gateway into bikepacking for you?

Mark Wetherington
    BPL Member

@markweth

Locale: Western Montana

I have clipless pedals on that bike, so I wore bike-specific shoes and just stuffed my trail runners (Altra Lone Peaks) in the saddlebags. On another trip I bungeed them on the outside with my closed-cell foam pad. But other than that I pretty much left me gear as-is for usual backpacking trips.

I’ve done a little bit of bikepacking over the years (including in the Red River Gorge, but that was mostly riding behind gates or down flat single-track along ridgetops to campsites) and would love to do more. Trips like this definitely stoke my appetite for that type of adventure. And funny enough I have a trip planned later this week via mountain bike to a USFS cabin I rented for the night here in Montana’s Bitterroot Mountains  (the irony and indignity of putting my bike in my car and then driving 30 miles to bike 6 to the cabin is not lost on me).

I’ve also used my bike to ride rougher roads than my vehicle can handle to certain trailheads, but that’s more utility riding than actual bikepacking I suppose.

I do have a trip sketched out for next year in the Lost River Range of Idaho that is a mix of backpacking and bikepacking. I’d park at one trailhead, bike to a distant trailhead, camp there the first night, then hike back to the car and pick up the bike on the way out.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!