Topic

Hot Tent with a Caldera Cone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Hot Tent with a Caldera Cone

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Atif Khan
    BPL Member

@atifethica-institute-2

Has anyone tried heating their mid with a Caldera Cone in wood burning mode? I have a Solomid XL and was wondering whether, with one door open and the cone sitting in the vestibule area on the open side, sufficient heat would radiate into the tent.

Duane Hall
    BPL Member

@pkh

Locale: Nova Scotia

I have a lot of experience with Caldera Cones in wood burning mode.  I cannot speak to the heating question you raise, but I know there is always considerable risk of sparks with these cones when burning wood, especially when adding fresh fuel. I would not take the chance.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Atif K, I have burned wood in a large Caldera Cone but not in the wood mode, just in the upright cone mode. I made a stainless steel basket to support twigs in the verticle position and would light the stack from the top. Lighting from the top is the most efficient way to burn twigs. The cone prevents sparks from going outward. The same procedure is used for burning twigs in my Kelly Kettles.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

YouTube video

YouTube video

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Have a titanium Caldera Cone (Sidewinder) and use it in the “gassifier” mode with the Inferno inverted cone insert and mesh bottom for wood burning to melt snow. The Inferno insert makes VERY hot, thus teh necessity for titanium.

Howsomever a “hot tent setup would need a “funnel” chimney and teh necessary tent wall insulator. I dunno If I’d want hoe sparks near my silnylon winter tent.

Plus feeding the damn Caldera Cone would be constant.You could not stop feeding it for more than 5 minutes. An ultra light tiny regular style hot tent stove would be far better. SEEK OUTSIDE wells them.

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

“Inverted cone”. So that’s what the notch is for. I’ve been setting it up wrong for years. It worked well. I’ve used leaves and tiny twigs to boil water. For heat, I wonder how a candle inside the cone would do. Radiant heat at best though.

Monty Montana
    BPL Member

@tarasbulba

Locale: Rocky Mountains

In the winter I use a small UCO candle lantern inside my tent for added warmth…maybe 5-10 F warmer inside a 4-season tent.  The lantern + candle weigh 3.3 oz; an extra candle weighs 0.4 oz.  Sure cuts down on the condensation!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

If your tent is sealed, would the candle cause bad air quality

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

One candle is about 25 watts.  My 2 cents

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

I’ve used a candle before. I was never sure of the effectiveness. It was a moral boost when I was younger. In the end, I’d rather rely on my equipment to stay warm, trying not to rely on fuel.

https://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-gear/are-candle-lanterns-safe-use-tents/#

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

How much usable floor space does a Solomid XL in this case?  If you limit to the area with enough height for the cone plus some clearance, do you leave enough room a person on a sleeping bag to have their bag free of the wall?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Decided to boil 2 cups water with wood using my Ti-Tri 600 Sidewinder and figured I would try to answer your question.  Since I was playing in my yard already,  I pitched my solomid XL and got to work. It was a little breezy and of course it was blowing right at my mid.  Anyway,  9 minutes to boil the water and this is as close as I wanted it to be. There were absolutely No embers or sparks whatsoever,  but its still a risky spot to be.  It is about 31° F outside.  If I sat at the edge of my vestibule,  I was able to just barely touch my pot.  I did not feel any heat, well I dont think I did anyway.. nothing noticeable.  If you want to take the chill off inside your mid in winter, I recommend the Cohglans 36 hour emergency candle. I use it inside my tent during the winter and it definitely takes the chill out plus gives a nice ambiance inside. Also saves battery life on my headlamp because it lights up inside there nicely.  Just be careful and be smart ( i guess, lol? ) .  If you want a fire for warmth.. build one outside and sit next to it for warmth.  Nothing like a nice campfire on cold evenings in the fall or winter.

I’m glad i pitched the solomid because i dont really use it much and forgot it can be finicky to get that perfect pitch!! I was doing it in the dark, cold and breezy, my hands and fingers were getting numb and I had no jacket on. So I was trying to hurry up and it took me longer then I like and would have wanted to if it was serious situation.  My tarp and bivy are much easier to pitch,  as is my legit winter tents. Practice practice practice!! Here are a few pictures i snapped quickly.. hope it helps.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Here is the candle inside the mid. It definitely takes the nip out of the air inside there. I highly recommend this!  Note the matchbook next to it for size comparison.  

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

How much does the survival candle weigh ?

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

6 oz. and worth every ounce in below freezing winter conditions. When it is storming out and darkness comes early and you can’t possibly have a fire.. Its the finest 6 ounces you will carry!

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Beeswax? I think we just used the 10 hour voltive candles. Beeswax being hotter.

Thom
    BPL Member

@popcornman

Locale: N NY

So with a three wick beeswax candle my tent would be a sauna ! Ha ha . I do have bees . Fun project.
    thom

Terran Terran
    BPL Member

@terran

Quora:

How do I get the most heat from a candle? — Related

Andrew Voigt
    life long compulsive studies of howAuthor has 263 answers and 64.5K answer views1y
    To get more heat from a candle you must supply it with more oxygen. This is normally done with a candle chimney made of glass but for more light. A copper pipe wrapped in a thermal insulation about twice the radius of the candle will absorb heat from the flame and conduct it up and down the length of the pipe causing the air inside the pipe to rise faster than otherwise supplying the flame with mildly warmed air.

more oxygen at higher temperature will produce less soot less light but more heat.

The longer the pipe and thicker walls of the pipe the better it will work but with diminishing returns and increasing upfront cost.”

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

ACTCHUALLY…  I have two CANDOIL oil lamps (now out of production) the size of a candle lantern and one of them heats up a two man double wall winter tent decently. BUT ya gotta put it out at bed time. Too much danger of a fire and/or CO poisoning.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools