Topic

Hot knife for ultralight fabrics: your recommendation?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Hot knife for ultralight fabrics: your recommendation?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Moab Randy
    BPL Member

@moab-randy

Hi all,

Do you have any specific recommendations for a hot knife to cut ultralight fabrics?

I have used a gun-type soldering iron, but it’s too awkward for careful work and too hot–it has even caught fabric on fire.

Online I have seen two basic types: One is essentially an angled continuous circuit electrode, like that used to cut sail fabric. I’m sure this would work, but these are expensive (around $75 plus) and maybe wouldn’t have as much control as I want.

The other type is cheaper, essentially a heated XActo knife. Mixed reviews on these as to whether they get and stay hot enough at the tip, and the ones I was tempted by don’t allow returns on Amazon.

Any great solutions out there?

Thanks.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

I use a roller cutter.

Michael B
    BPL Member

@mikebergy

I used a standard pencil-style soldering iron with a round point, and that worked fine for me as long as I pulled it along the straight edge at the right speed. Too slow, and it does indeed start to melt in ways that are unwanted, too fast, and it doesn’t melt cleanly through. Mine is a Weller, but any low-wattage iron should work. It even cuts through 420 Robic just fine. I’ve seen people rig up an exacto blade to them, but I found it unnecessary.

Moab Randy
    BPL Member

@moab-randy

Thank you, Michael. I’ve gotten hold of a pencil-styled soldering iron and it seems to work fairly well.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I use a Weller with a custom ‘knife blade’ at the tip. It works fine on silnylon, even quite heavy stuff.

Cheers

Moab Randy
    BPL Member

@moab-randy

Thanks, Roger. Sounds like that’s the consensus.

Joe G
    BPL Member

@jgreenewv

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I should add: I have a large sheet of old cheap thin 3-ply which I cut onto. It has many burn lines. Better that than the floor!

Cheers

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

When I was making tents in the 1970s I also used a pencil tip soldering iron.  Worked well.

I used it on a large aluminun sheet (4’x8′?)  Big sheets of this were commonly available at surplus yards in Seattle in the 1970s.  Might have been a result of the airplane industry at the time.

Ken Larson
    BPL Member

@kenlarson

Locale: Western Michigan

WINONS Hot Knife

Chris L
    BPL Member

@thechrislundy

Locale: Idaho

I have the same one Joe G linked to above. It’s worked great on anything from silnylon to DCF to X-Pac to 1000D cordura and webbing. Seems nearly identical to the more expensive one that Sailrite sells. I’ve used them both and couldn’t tell the difference.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools