Topic

Hip Belt slips down due to Pant material, How to stop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hip Belt slips down due to Pant material, How to stop?

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

WHICH Seam Grip?

Seems there sseveral kinds.

Seam Grip +SIL: Silicone Based

Seam Grip +WP: Urethane based

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I strongly prefer wearing a 1-1.5” unpadded hipbelt too low when using a frameless pack with a TPW in the low 20# range. I do have too much belly which is part of the reason but I find wearing the hipbelt low (down where I wear pants) allows me to breath much more fully. Once I eat some food and my TPW is around 16 or 18# I’m in my happy place and lose the belt entirely. If I was planning on carrying 25# or more then I’d want a frame and wider padded hipbelt up on the ol’ iliac crest.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Osprey recommends that their hipbelts should be centered over the iliac crest.

Here’s Osprey’s video on how to fit their packs.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/fitting-learning/size-fit

Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

Yes I already know this Nick. This is not the issue, the issue is keeping it there.

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Larry, I believe you want the urethane-based Seam Grip.  The silicone-based one is for silnylon fabrics (tents and the like).  Others can chime in if they know differently.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Larry,
    Not all the Osprey Packs have stiffeners under the fabric, at the points where the hipbelt projects from the sidewalls of the pack, and intended to prevent the hipbelt from slipping up, and the pack from slipping down. On packs with that design, when you grasp the hip belt just in front of the pack, you cannot readily push it upwards. The hipbelt and the back panel of the pack maintain roughly a right angle to each other. It is only that particular design that I was referring to, and suggested some try-ons if that design is not the one you have. If not, I agree that a change in the material of the garment, such as hiking pants, that is over the lumbar area of the spine would be helpful. Suggest trying on packs of different sizes, models and brands, weighted with approximately the weight you carry. Many pack shops provide weights for this purpose.

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools