Topic

Hip Belt slips down due to Pant material, How to stop?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hip Belt slips down due to Pant material, How to stop?

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

I have an osprey pack and love it, however when I am actually BPing I wear columbia pants. With the material used for them the hip belt on my pack slips down and no amount of cinching will keep in on my hips. When I am training and walking around the naighborhood with just my regular cotton shorts and leather belt on, I have better success with the hip belt staying put.

Anyone else have this issue and/or how to fix?

thanks

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

Well, yeah, I also have this issue with the shorts I like to hike in, which are a slippery nylon material.  I usually just crank the heck out of the hipbelt and haven’t taken it to the next step, which if I ever do anything might consist of putting some strips of Seam Grip on the back part of the hipbelt where it contacts my lumbar area.   That ought to make a nice grippy surface that wouldn’t be so prone to sliding.

Or, since this Backpacking Light, you could just carry less stuff!  (Just kidding)

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

You need to put some weight around your waist line so just start eating more.

beer is good for that too.

Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

I has a belly so that’s not going to happen, hahahaha

Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

yeah I’m working on less. but just added some weight with my CPAP.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Sorry, I could not help myself…

Anyway , before you gunk up your trousers (that idea did cross my mind…) if you have a piece of non slip fabric (the shelf liner type)  you could try that to see if it works.

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

The strips of seam grip do work.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Same problem here.  Cinching down the waist belt for me results in a pinched nerve and pins and needles running down my left leg.  Totally not cool.  Will try the Seam Grip idea.

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

I always thought the hip belt was suppose to anchor on the iliac crest of the pelvis?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Sounds to me like your shirt’s too short, or else you’re tucking it in which just seems awful.  Switch to a shirt long enough to cover the top of your pants, and prefer a woven fabric of some sort, not knitted.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

https://www.ahh.biz/webbing/rubberized/webbing_rubberized_polypro_non_slip_25mm.php

Would something like this help?

There are also stretchy exercise bands they use at the gym and for physical therapy that might help.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

And when it rains and I’m forced to wear my slippery Columbia Outdry Ex rain jacket then what?

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

“I always thought the hip belt was suppose to anchor on the iliac crest of the pelvis?”

That is correct.  But on some people ME INCLUDED the iliac crest is um, well-cushioned, which can make it difficult to get the hip belt cinched properly.  Not saying that this is the case with the OP, but it certainly is a factor for my middle-aged, post child-bearing middle.

David Hartley
    BPL Member

@dhartley

Locale: Western NY

I also have experienced this issue and had some luck in the past with seam grip on the lumbar area of the hip belt – at least until I started using gossamer gear’s gorilla and Mariposa packs. I find these packs fit me like a glove, but the lumbar area is a light stretchy mesh over their sit pad foam back panel – so no place for seam grip. Now I am back to the sliding pack problem.

I can also relate to illiac crest issue. I am relatively thin overall, but I do have a bit of well earned beer gut that interferes with the optimum hip belt position.

Dave H

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Actually, most hip belt slippage is caused by excess padding. Remove the padding and it will work fine.
    No, the hip belt does not really anchor *on* or *above* your hip bone(s.) Rather it should lock in just where you have little muscle and pulled moderately tight (you will need to adjust this.) The above-the-hip causes a lot of problems with wet and sweaty belts. Too low and you get too far down below the iliac crest (which is curved.) Usually, a good rule of thumb is to set at the *top* of the belt to be even with the *top* of your hip bones, NOT above it. If you have a loose strap, this should just lock over into your pants belt buckle, now pull it tight. It is OK if it is a little tilted. Wide, super cushioned belts bother me and I cannot use them, they slip easily causing a LOT of shoulder problems. (GG used to make some excellent packs where I could remove the padding.) Nowdays, I think you need to unseam a couple seams to remove anything over 1/8-1/4″, or, substitute 1/8″ for the 3/8″ stuff they use… Otherwise, the packs all creep down as you walk.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

If strips of Seam Grip don’t do it try the thicker Shoe Goo (in a tube).

That stuff is very durable as well.

Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

shirt is long enough, in fact it’s probably the shirt thats causing this and not just the pants. the shirt is down past the belt.

BPLwiia
    Spectator

@bplwiia

There are strips of a very grippy, shiny material on the inside of Sitka Ascent pants. The same material is on the pull tab of the zipper of several North Face fleece 1/4 zip shirts I have.

The grippy strips are very effective at keeping the pants from moving down.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

A properly fitted pack with a well designed hip belt should stay put unless you are carrying a LOT of weight in your pack. My McHales don’t slip even if I am wearing slippery running shorts. The belts on these packs have ample padding are are fairly tall with double buckles that allow a bit of adjustment in circumference so the belt better hugs the hips

In my opinion, the hip belt should extend slightly above the iliac crest. For people who could lose a bit of weight, this can be a problem. I see a lot of people whose waist belts are too low and of course, they’re going to slip.

Matt Dirksen
    BPL Member

@namelessway

Locale: Mid Atlantic

“In my opinion, the hip belt should extend slightly above the iliac crest. For people who could lose a bit of weight, this can be a problem”

Belt location is ultimately dependent on both the design of the pack, and “what feels right” to the user. While it may seem that the rule of thumb indicates that most belts rest on or slightly above the iliac crest, there have been too many examples where this rule doesn’t apply.

Having fit MANY different pack designs while working at gear shops between the mid 80’s thru early 2k, I found that each company created their own rule of thumb – and was primarily based on the specific design of the pack.

In my recollection, some packs were specifically designed to have the belt either ride entirely Below or entirely ABOVE the iliac crest. (Lowe’s tended to ride higher while Kelty’s rode very low. And Mountainsmith’s lumbar packs all rode waay above.)

Regardless, it all goes back to the back manufacturer’s “intent”, and what the user believes is comfortable (which may ultimately change during their first couple hikes.)

Axel J
    BPL Member

@axel-t

Maybe a Tumpline could assist in reducing the issue?

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

shirt is long enough, in fact it’s probably the shirt thats causing this and not just the pants. the shirt is down past the belt.

That’s my experience–it’s the shirt that causes the problem. Woven fabrics help. Another thing that helps is a pack that hugs your back. Those silly packs that try to leave an air gap so you “won’t sweat” (ha ha) just focus the job on the hipbelt pressure points. A little friction along your back can help.

That said, I rarely have any slipping unless the pack is quite heavy.

Sam Farrington
    BPL Member

@scfhome

Locale: Chocorua NH, USA

Larry,
    Perhaps the Osprey you have is an older model. Lately, they have made innovations to address just the problem you raised. Some of the newer models have much more flexible suspended mesh backbands, and hardware hidden in the fabric that prevents the hipbelt from slipping up, thus making it harder for the pack to slip down. If you haven’t tried out some of the new models, would suggest it.

Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

It’s actually brand new, an Osprey Atmos AG, 65L.

This only happens when I am backpacking with my trail clothes on. the slippery wicking fast drying Columbia stuff.

Larry C
    BPL Member

@sddarkman619

This was actually my first time with it in the field. I had been training around the neighborhood with my regular clothes, cargo pants and leather belt. It wasn’t until this hike that I realized what was happening with the hiking clothes and the pack.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools