Topic

Hiking pants for tall people

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hiking pants for tall people

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Aaron
    Spectator

@a_a_rontx

I am currently using the Prana Stretch Zion pants and love them.  They are one of the few companies that offer pants in 36 length.  I was wanting a pair of their pants that are convertible but they only offer that in 34 inch inseam.

What pants are some your you tall folks using?  What do you use for summer, and winter?

Thanks

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

The Rail Riders Echo Mesh pants come in a 35″ inseam and are, in my opinion, the BEST summer backpacking pants.   I wear a 32″ inseam in most pants, but my Echo Mesh pants are a 30″ inseam and are plenty long (A 32″ inseam would be way too long).  I say that as they apparently run long so they may work for you.  I would at least try them out as they are much cooler than the Zions.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Check Eddie Bauer out. Similar fabric to the Zions used on a few of their pants.  A bit lighter weight. Tall sizes

Jason McSpadden
    BPL Member

@jbmcsr1

Locale: Rocky Mountains
    Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I do best by wearing shorts most of the time and carrying wind pants to wear over them in camp.

There are apparently no tall clothing designers anywhere in the world.  If they deign to give you longer pant legs they also give you way-out-of-proportion higher rise.  I can’t hike with the waistband up at my armpits.  Idiots.

Good luck.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Going a bit off topic, but I have a very long torso (Celtic ancestry) despite being only 6 feet tall.  So I have no problem finding pants that fit, but shirts are usually too short on my torso and arms unless they’re very girthy like an XXL.

Every other year LL Bean offers jackets and dress shirts in Medium-Tall which works. Other years, they only offer Large-Tall, XL-Tall, etc which I swim in.

And those “anti-plumbers’ butt” t-shirts from Duluth Trading?  Those are great.  Most models are cotton, which I use around town, but some of them are in 100% synthetic, wicking fabrics for less money than NorthFace, Patagonia, etc.

Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

I have the opposite problem as David, I have gangly limbs. I wear 34/36 pants, which isn’t easy to find. The brands I’ve found that carry them are kuhl, which has some good summer pants, and 5.11 tactical has some thicker pants decent for cooler temps.  Fjall Raven offers tall sizes that fit pretty well, in a variety of fabrics for all seasons. Their “regular” fabric is meant to be waxed which is nice for winter, and the pants have fun features like ice axe holders. Ive also recently discovered mountain khaki offers a 36 as well; the fabric is very dense and strong, but 100% cotton so I haven’t actually tried them hiking yet.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

It seems to me that these factories in China or Viet Nam or wherever are so flabbergasted by the size of Americans that their methodology for scaling pattern sizes is to simply add a half inch all the way around for every size until you end up with the ridiculousness of pants that maybe are wide enough in the legs to fit a chubby gal like me but about 8 inches too long in the legs, and about 6 inches too long in the crotch and with a waist up to my breasts, or else if they prefer, with a waist that is below my waist but about 6 inches too wide. There’s a reason so many people like yoga pants/tights.

Vincent Vilcinskas
    BPL Member

@vinvil

I’ve been wearing REI Sahara convertible pants for several Years and have no complaints. They only go to a 36″ inseam though.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

I have the Prana’s too.  I really like them for climbing but prefer something a little lighter for backpacking.  Good to hear the Railriders come in long sizes. I will have to check them out.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools