Topic

Hiking around Mont Blanc

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Hiking around Mont Blanc

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Locale: Middle Virginia

Thanks, Jane and Roger. I am very aware of the possible closures and I have been stressing this to my friend, who has a ladeeda attitude lately. After speaking with her yesterday, she agreed to call ahead each day to make reservations. I told her snow is very likely and the refuges are closed, and we are literally dead. She said she wants us to be able to check weather each day. I showed her your picture and I think reality set in. If I were planning this thing, hell, yeah, I would already be reserved. It’s her trip, I was invited, so I can only do so much…with skillful coaxing! We almost didn’t go because her husband was recently diagnosed with a brain tumor. He is in remission and her thinking is not what it had been due to her worry.

We both have that guidebook and I also ordered another guide book that has more detail and little bits of fun info.

I can’t speak French. I can speak Italian, however. Something will work out. I am sure anyone at one of the huts can speak both English and French and can help me out.

I am going to order that 35L pack on eBay.  : )

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The weather – VARIABLE! It’s an alpine region. You can try:
    http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-france/chamonix-mont-blanc/74400

I am sure anyone at one of the huts can speak both English and French and can help me out.
    MAYBE. Down in the valleys – yeah. Up high????

Email some of the high Refuges and ask – NOW! Some of them may stay open for another week or two as the TMB is very popular. Allow for bad weather that late in the year.

Note: many of the Refuges up high do NOT have a mobile phone connection, so you cannot get the internet. The Refuges often rely on a limited-bandwidth satellite link which is not available to walkers.

Carry cash – some of the Refuges do not have credit card facilities. No phone line connection you see.

Good walk – but variable weather.

Cheers

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

The trip is a few weeks away and I am now culling out my gear, but right now everything including a liter of water will weigh 8 lbs. I am debating about taking my Paddy nano puff @11 oz.  I don’t want to get cold while up in higher altitudes or caught in bad weather. I will have a midweight 100 wt fleece zip ( Arcteryx) and long sleeve Mammut shirt with wool blended into the fabric, plus Houdini and rain gear. Warm hat, neck buff, gloves will also be a part of the warm gear.  Any thoughts on the Nano?  I haven’t tried to pack it in that eBay pack which looks like David said, 25L and not 35L. But all I need is no more than 35L.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

I am fairly strongly inclined to say ‘take it’.
    Changing the pack might be more to the point. You have time.

Cheers

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

Oddly enough, my REI Flash 22 works just fine even with the Nano. The eBay pack hung like a sack of potatoes on my shoulders and no hip belt.  The Flash shoulder straps roll inward somewhat but I don’t think that will be a problem. My main concern is at the neck, where it is rounded like a T-shirt. But overall, I think this may work. Just enough support on the back with a hip strap and no bulky thick anything. I will need room for food like lunch but I have  tall side pockets for bread and cheese. Who knew!!

Donna C
    BPL Member

@leadfoot

I am off to the alps. Pack weighs 13lbs with a liter of water and I did throw in my puffy as I found out it is around 30F in the mornings at the higher elevations. Plus the refuges may be cold inside. We have hotel reservations in Chamonix and Chamexpress shuttle from Geneva. Beyond that….it will be an adventure. Thanks for your patience and advice.

Au revoir! Ciao! Widerluege!

Viewing 6 posts - 26 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools