Topic

HH Test of Rip Stop by the Roll 15D Membrane Silpoly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) HH Test of Rip Stop by the Roll 15D Membrane Silpoly

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Erik G
    BPL Member

@fox212

Locale: Central Coast

For what it’s worth Michael B, I understand what you’re suggesting regarding this test method possibly being invalid/misleading for super lightweight fabrics, and whether small defects in the material affect real-world weather resistance as much as tested HH values. Much of your speculation rings true in my opinion and is at least worth consideration.

The only way to really test your hypothesis at this point is to make some shelters out of the suspect material and see how they hold up to some heavy rainfall. I can understand why a MYOG enthusiast might not want to do that, only to end up with a shelter actually isn’t adequately waterproof. Someone (not me) must undertake this endeavor for the glory of scientific discovery!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

I am doing such testing in a way. I’m sewing a bivy with RBTR’s 1.1 silpoly for the floor and 0.93 membrane silpoly for the canopy, which I will absolutely be testing under some hose and sprinkler showers before I decide whether to take it with me on the SHR this summer. I’ll let you know how it goes. Here is the prototype made from generic house wrap material:

Viewing 2 posts - 51 through 52 (of 52 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools