Topic

Hexamid for Snow Camping?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Hexamid for Snow Camping?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Locale: NorCal

I received a pair of snowshoes for Christmas and after a couple of hikes, I’m thinking about trying an overnight trip in the snow. I have a Zpacks Hexamid Solo plus that works great for all my summer and fall backing trips. Will this tent be warm enough for winter conditions in the Sierras (0 – 20 degrees F)? In my experience, if it isn’t pitched correctly to provide ventilation, I have problems with condensation. However, the mesh around the bottom would be very drafty, even in light winds. Any thoughts or tips? Should I consider getting a different tent?

Michael Sirofchuck
    BPL Member

@mr_squishy

Locale: Great Wet North

To counter drafts, you could use a bivy sack over your sleeping bag.  For winter camping, I prefer floorless pyramid shelters such as the BD Megalite, etc.- you can dig down into the snow and create a place to sit and cook as well as a sleeping ledge.  With the ledge higher than the rest of the floor, you have a cold sink which helps you sleep warmer.  You’ll want a bivy sack for sure as well as a good high R rated ground pad.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

Locale: Way up North

Pitching this type of shelters on snow takes a lot of practice.

I took a Tarp Tent SS1 on a 3 night snow trip and it was a pain to pitch each night.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Kate

I have been using various mids for winter camping in the Sierra Nevada since 2005. They work great. You have much more room. You can cook in them if you have to. You can wear your snow shoes inside which helps if you need to go from your kitchen back to your shelter for that one missing ingredient.  You are carrying perhaps 1.5 pounds of shelter versus a 5 to 6 pound lightweight 4 season tent. You do need to build learn how to build a flat tent platform.  You do need to learn how to use deadmen/snow stakes to guy out the tarp. Like the poster above, I recommend a water resistant bivy sack to reduce drafts like the ones Oware and MLD sells. (Note: I have tried Goretex and Event bivies but you then risk getting condensation on the INSIDE of the bivy sack.)  Depending on how tall your Mid is and how high you want the peak during winter, you might also need to combine two hiking poles to create a long enough Mid pole or buy a commercial adjustable Mid pole from a vendor like BlackDiamond. (The bottom of the pole is below the edge of the tarp because you dug out a flat platform for the mid.)

You also need to be careful about camp site selection. I try to find a sheltered area near multiple trees to block the wind.  If you get a real good flat tent platform built, you can seal the edge of the bivy with snow.   You will need a good zero or 15 degree bag for Sierra Nevada winter camping.  I found that my MLD DuoMid is perfect for clear weather and even when expecting show showers or light snow.  If a real snow storm with high wind is forecast, I take a 4 season tent.

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Thanks Everyone! I’ve been looking at a MLD solo mid and a used Tarp Tent Scarp 1. I like the simplicity of the mid and the weight. The Scarp 1 is heavier but more like a conventional 4 season tent and may be easier to pitch. I would need practice for either but that’s what these first trips are all about.  I was going to buy an Xtherm or down mat for the sleeping pad. I have a 10 degree Zpacks quilt and Montbell xlight down jacket and pants to sleep in. I could also add the Costco quilt to my kit until I’m confident it will be warm enough. What kind of shovel do you carry to dig with? Looking at the BD Deploy 3 shovel.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

The Scarp is a very good tent, good choice.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Another item to consider adding to your kit is a light weight VBL. If you tolerate using it OK, a VBL is a light way to add another 10 degrees of comfort to your sleeping bag. It also keeps your down from picking up moisture from your body. Some people like VBLs, others hate them – your first practice trips would let you test it out for yourself.

I have a 3 oz VBL I made by ironing together 3 large trash bags that I carry in shoulder season. It has let me sleep in reasonable comfort into the mid teens inside a 30F Marmot Helium bag, wearing just long undies, a light jacket and down parka over the foot box.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Kate

I would not spend a lot of $ until you know for sure that you like snow camping. Any avalanche type shovel. I myself own a couple of Black Diamonds but have used BCA (Back Country Access) in Avalanche training that are sturdy and reasonably priced.

For a weekend beginner trip I would suggest vapor barriers add too much complexity. if you want to experiment with vapor barriers you can try lining your boots with a produce bag from the grocery store or if you subscribe to an old fashioned paper newspaper, a newspaper bag.

In terms of erecting a mid, my mid does not take any longer to set up than my Big Agnes or Hilleberg 4 season tents.  You do need to practice the pitch at home. Since I use a mid for other backpacking, when I go out snow camping I usually have my mid set up and my bed made in time to help other folks set up their tents.:-))

Brian B
    BPL Member

@brianb

Locale: Alaska

I think a Hexamid Solo Plus is about as good as any traditional mid in the the conditions the OP is describing — unless you bury the windward edge of a mid (or hexamid) you’re left open to wind (which is cold) or spindrift (which is annoying).  I’ve used a hexamid solo tent (i.e., with netting) in snow and the only issue was how tight it was.

Also, with the exception of wind protection, tents/shelters shouldn’t factor into your temp calculus — 10 more ounces of bag/quilt is worth more than 10 additional pounds of tent.

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Thanks for the tips everyone! You have given me lots of ideas to research.

Stephen M
    BPL Member

@stephen-m

10 pounds  of tent is overstatement on Brians’s behalf, he is right though not factoring the warmth of a tent.

Just be careful of spin drift in this type of tent.

I know lots of folks say you will be fine, but all it takes is a heavy dump of snow or strong winds to make you want to wish you packed a more suitable tent.

JP
    BPL Member

@jpovs-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2-2

Locale: Arrowhead

Using a tent like this in winter is always a concern for the bug netting underneath freezing to the snow and or ground, then possibly tearing it when trying to break it loose when packing up.

Good luck! I find winter is the best season for camping.

James holden
    BPL Member

@bearbreeder-2

you can simply carry a cheap tarp to put on the snow so that the netting doesnt freeze up … this acts as you groundsheet as well … if it gets REALLY cold you can burrito roll yourself in it, youll sacrifice the loft and probably need to bail or dry out the quilt in the sun the next day, but it might get you through the night

for avalanche shovels, if you plan on using em in avalanche rescue, or get more aggressive with the snow … certain ones are better than others … read the link below

http://www.voile.com/AvalancheVol86_54-60.pdf

the 30 dollah amazing costco down quilt should add 10F+ to your sleep system … short of a garbage bag its the cheapest way to boost yr temp ratings

and bring extra fuel for the HAWT nalgene

;)

Stephen Collins
    BPL Member

@scwcollins

Locale: socal

I also suggest going with a floorless pyramid tarp.

• Pyramid because it will be easier to set up than the Hexamid and protect you better against the wind.
    • Floorless because, as others have said, not having a floor gives you the benefit of being able to mold the inside of your shelter, walk around in the shelter, and have an easier time cooking because you don’t have to worry about burning whatever’s between the stove and the snow. I suppose the downside of a going floorless is you have to put your stuff on the snow, but I personally find that to be no big deal… it’s not like you’re worrying about rain coming into the tent in which case a bathtub groundsheet like the one in the Hexamid would be nice.

If you want something you can set up without having to stake it into snow/ice then go with a freestanding tent — though it will weigh 2-4x more than a floorless ‘mid.

Andy F
    Spectator

@andyf

Locale: Midwest/Midatlantic

I have a Scarp 2 which I use sometimes in winter. Keep in mind that the Scarp can be pitched without the inner, making it like a heavier but more spacious mid. Use something light as a groundsheet to protect an inflatable pad. If temps and humidity combined are likely to lead to significant condensation (typically a problem in wet or snowy weather in the 20-50F night temp range), then a solid inner is a good choice. At the very least, use a groundsheet which covers most of the tent interior so that all of the moisture from the snow doesn’t end up evaporating and then dripping or spraying back down all night.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

+1 to Stephen’s comment:

“Just be careful of spin drift in this type of tent. I know lots of folks say you will be fine, but all it takes is a heavy dump of snow or strong winds to make you want to wish you packed a more suitable tent.”

If a storm or high winds are in the forecast, you need a real mid (e.g. from MLD or Oware) where you can seal all the sides, or take a 4 season tent.
    <div class=”likebtn_container”></div>

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

Having done a lot of snow camping in floorless shelters, I think a key element is being able to pitch the thing tight to the snow all the way around to keep out blowing snow. If you can pull that off with your Hexamid then it should do fine.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

@ paul. I agree. I have never used a Hexamid. From the photos on the Zpacks web site it looks like it is not a true pyramid shelter and the ones without a beak would always have the door uncovered, meaing the side with the door could not be pitched tight to the snow. I am not sure what is possible with a Hexamid with a beak. But if the door was placed down wind and the forecast is for fair weather, it should still work fine.  I have often left my MLD duomid door open while snow camping to enjoy the night sky and see the sunrise.:-))

Kate Anthony
    Spectator

@kanthony

Bruce, Paul – I have an older model with the one-piece beak and can pitch the entire tent tight to the ground (practiced this afternoon). I’m watching the weather and plan to give it a try in Desolation in as soon as I receive the bivy and xtherm I purchased. Thanks for all of your help. I’ll let you know how it works out. I’m still considering a Duo mid but that will have to wait until my gear budget recovers.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools