Topic

Help My Feet

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Locale: Berkeley Hills

I recently went to a podiatrist due to a problem with my right big toe. That issue has been resolved but another potential issue came up, callouses on both of my feet below my pinkie toes (I’ve circled them in the attached photo). The doctor said they were caused by the bones below my pinkie toes being slightly lower than the adjacent bones and pointed this out on x-rays of my feet. She recommended trying “Superfeet” inserts before going the custom orthotic route.

Does anyone have a similar foot issue and if so, what have you done? In general, I would prefer to fix and/or strengthen my feet rather than use special inserts for the rest of my life.

I suppose I should mention that thus far the callouses are not bothering me at all but I haven’t had any big mileage days in a while. That said, I’m not sure when the callouses developed since I only noticed them when the issue with my big toe came up.

Thanks in advance.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Quite the “come hither” pose for the foot fetish people among us.  (Sorry, but you posted it).

My wife actually had a chiropractic adjustment on her fore foot with a lot of success.  I was sceptical but it really did a lot of good.

I also wonder if your gait will change over time to accommodate this.

Outside of that, pumice stone on the callouses.  It works on climbing callouses on the hands.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Thanks Ben C. I’ll try the pumice stone route.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I think I saw that pose on an old Richard Simmons show. Now I know how you keep your youthful figure…

As Ben said, a pumice stone or like device will shave them down, but I wouldn’t worry too much if they’re not bothering you.

This article has some good info.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Do your shoes wear evenly?

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

I like this sort of pumice foot scrubber. There are a few different brands that look more or less the same….

I use them to keep cracks from forming along my heels.

Gut sense is if it isn’t broken, don’t fix it.

Casey Bowden
    BPL Member

@clbowden

Doug and Katherine, thanks for the links.

Ken, good idea about checking my shoes for uneven wear. My office shoes look uniform. I’ll check my other shoes when I get home.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools