Topic

Help me identify flexible wire in MB pop-up bug net

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Help me identify flexible wire in MB pop-up bug net

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

I’m determined to make a copy of this Montbell pop-up bug net, but I don’t have a clue as to what the flexible wire material is that gives the tension and makes the net self supporting. Obviously the wire has a memory which allows it to pop back into the desired shaped when deployed. The MB net is basically a smaller, light version of the A-16 Bug Bivy. The moving pic at the bottom of the link might give a clue to the question, I don’t know. Thanks.

https://www.montbell.us/products/disp.php?cat_id=25129&p_id=1121324

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

No idea, but I would imagine you could simply buy one of those popup sunscreens for not much money and use whatever flexible wire is in that.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Yea, that might be worth a try. Sunscreens are pretty cheap.

Greg Mihalik
    Spectator

@greg23

Locale: Colorado

“tension …  makes the net self supporting.”

Think of a “wire/rod/stiffener” sewn into the edge of a circle.

Fold it in half and “reduce” the excess fabric opposite the fold to suit your needs.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Any luck with this?  I’ve been pondering this for years as I have the A16 and have always wanted something lighter.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

Piano wire?

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

No Adam, I’m sorry to say that I gave up on the idea (for now), but I’m glad you reminded me because I might look into what Doug mentioned regarding a pop-up sunscreen. Even though the Montbell net is a little pricey, it’s more that I’m afraid it would be too small for me. I called the MB USA rep in Colorado some months ago to try and get a handle on its size, but the man just wasn’t able to shed any light on the pop-up net. My worry is that the net is probably designed for Asians who on average are smaller than most Americans. However, I believe I read somewhere Montbell US and Montbell Europe clothes (per size) are designed a little larger than Montbell Japan’s, but I’m not sure.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

I can tell you for sure that Montbell clothes run very small.  I love my A16 but would love to have something at about a third of the weight.  Let me know if you come up with anything interesting.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Some of those have a spring steel inside the edge.  Like a band-saw blade (without the teeth) but smaller and thinner.  Are there really small band-saw blades?

Others have a solid plastic rod.  Kind of a smaller and bendier version of the snakes I’ve used to pull wires, deal with stuff down deep wells and to clean out cloths drier vents (with a brush on the business end:

Ooh, ooh!, I’ve got it:  Comes in metal or fiberglass, bends to a 4-5-inch radius for storage, but strong and takes a beating, while being smaller and lighter than the above – a fish tape in a 50- or 100-foot length:

I was also pondering really thick string-trimmer line – it’s nylon and available from 0.065″ to 0.155″ (109 feet for $14):

I’ve got some in my garage I’d be happy to send you, I can check what diameter it is.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

That sounds awesome David. If you find what you are looking for I’ll PM you my address and then I can Paypal F & F the postage to you. Thanks.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

“I can tell you for sure that Montbell clothes run very small.”

I haven’t found this to be true overall (not negating Adam’s experiences, just relating my own). When I order from the Montbell US site each piece generally lists whether or not it’s Asian sizing. Asian sizing will be smaller than ‘regular’ sizing, so I order with that in mind. But I’ve only ever ordered gloves and jackets from Montbell, so don’t know about their pants/shirts.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Its kind of like whats in my Cohglans Delux pop Up trash can. It bends into that flat round shape then springs into the Pail shape.. never gets deformed or bent out of shape.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Dirtbag’s post inspired me to Google “pop-up laundry hamper” and a variety of $7 options from Walmart et al, well, they “popped up”:

One could disembowel it for the structural element.

Adam Salinger
    BPL Member

@asalinger

Tried the “disembowel” method a few weeks back.  The wire on the one I took apart was way to thick and heavy.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

True.  It probably is too thick n heavy. Maybe Ron from MLD would sell you some of his wire that he uses in the eVent Soul bivy?? That is pretty perfect stuff there. Just takes a second to reconfigure its shape.. mostly. Its thin and lightweight too. Or maybe someone who owns one and removed the wire???

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

I have used the MB for years. My only complaint is in warmer temps the netting holds in a lot of heat. The weave on the screen is really tight. I’ve contemplated replacing it with a bit more open weave.  The tension rod is simply a roll formed circle out of possibly high tension TI.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Tempered stainless steel wire of your choice. Sold by the yard/foot.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Thanks Tom, It’s good to get a reply from someone who actually owns one of the Montbell pop-up bug nets. When I spoke with the MB rep months ago he said they had sold very few of them in the US, and when you try to do a google search there is virtually nothing to be found. So how do you find the sizing of the net? If you don’t mind me asking what’s your height/weight? I figure I could build one with 0.5 oz noseeum and perhaps make it a little larger and come in at a tad over 3 oz. Maybe with a more air permeable netting too. I like the way it quickly deploys and requires no overhead tieout.

Dan Y, so where could I buy stainless wire, Home Depot or Lowes? And I guess I’d of course have to weld the wire in order to make the circle.

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

The pop up laundry thingies can be found at some dollar stores.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

The trimmer line I’ve got around the house is 0.080″ which is definitely not enough to stiffen up anything.
    I fondled some different sizes at Home Depot and even the largest, 0.155″ line seemed marginal for a larger application like you’re proposing (but might be okay for a worn, smaller headnet).

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Monte,

I’m 5’8″ 155 and a restless side sleeper. The only issue with the size has been pairing it with my zpacks pocket tarp and having to pitch the tarp higher than preferred so that the netting clears (a standard rectangular tarp wouldn’t have the same issue). It is one of my favorite pieces of gear, however I only use it in a short window of the summer season. My pros are:  easy deployment, no b.s. tie outs, works well with my sleeping style, and packs down to the size of a piece of pita bread. The only con is that the fabric needs to be a bit more breathable if paired with a tarp. If it would help I can measure the diameter of the circle you would need to reproduce the M.B. version for reference. Also it works great for a lunch or dinner break. Put your back to a tree with the net deployed and it gives you enough space to have your food and hands inside the net.

DAN-Y/FANCEE FEEST
    Spectator

@zelph2

Piano wire.

Chris R
    BPL Member

@bothwell-voyageur

I think the pop-up stuff is made from something called memory wire, not sure whether it has a special composition or whether it’s just the heat treatment they use but as in it;s name it is very good at returning to its original form after being coiled up.

Dan
    Spectator

@ledburner

Locale: mid South Pennines

I agree polypropylene thick guage line, @bout 3mm/ 1/8″ inch diameter as used in cabling draw lines is very effective and resists kinking. it inert and will not corrode or absorb water.

I just noticed it holds a shape if coiled tighter that 10″ in. diameter which it why it was originally coiled about 14″in. dia.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools