Topic

Help from Deschutes Users !

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Help from Deschutes Users !

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Joshua Felts
    BPL Member

@sourpatch2016

I have just received my Deschutes silnylon tarp. I am very new to the idea of a single wall shelter and just need some guidance with set up. Forgive me if I may sound like I am fairly clueless because odds are that I am. Anyhow I was wondering how to attach the front door/vestibule area to the guyline. I have seen video tutorials on attaching the doors to the guyline through a connecting clip, but my tarp it seems as if this guyline is sewing from the inside of the zipper making it impossible to attach the doors as wanted. I had a few more questions and was wondering if anyone with this same set up has got ride of certain stock aspects such as upgrading to better glowire type guyline/bungee loops to add for automatic tensioning overnight to prevent some of that “silnylon sag”. I would also enjoy if anyone had any pictures of these mods. I would like to also learn a few basic knots to tie out guline and stakes with but I am ok with using small hardwear tensioners for a faster care free type set up. Was also wondering if I could send the tarp back and get some more tie out points on the back panel of the tarp to increase interior space and possible flapping from the back side of the tent. Any answers are greatly appreciated !

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

No need for shockcord tensioners in my opinion. I don’t find the tarp sags much.

I strongly disliked the stock door tension setup so I replaced the doorside guyline with some Glowire and a ZPacks door hook as well as two tiny loops of Glowire on the grosgrain loops at the bottom of the door. Basically I’m tensioning it like a Duplex. I got the idea from a blog post about a CF Deschutes but I can’t find the link right now.

I don’t think SMD does custom work. You’d have to get someone else to do it. I’d rather have Lineloc3 tensioners all around but I haven’t bothered to find someone to do it.

bjc
    BPL Member

@bj-clark-2-2

Locale: Colorado

Take a look at how Gen at Yama Mountain attaches linelocs. I did it on my Lunar Solo. It’s a no brainer. It’s under resources then tie outs.

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

+1 on what Matt said – that’s exactly how I rigged my Deschutes CF and it works fairly well (see photos below). Regarding sag overnight – simply extend the pole an inch or so in the middle of the night and it should make the tarp taught again (this works well on my TT Notch, which is silnylon).

For setup, I prefer the following method which works well on all by the most uneven ground:

1. Stake out one of the rear side pullouts.
    2. Stake out the other rear side pullout by pulling it taught against the first stake, then back off about 10 inches and set stake.
    3. Position the pole vertically, and while holding it in place, set the front pullout with a strong stake (either long or fat to hold all the force on the front pullout). You now have three points of contact set up.
    4. Stake out both front side pullouts moderately taught (use fairly strong stakes as the side front pullouts get moderate tension on them).
    5. Stake out the rear pullout moderately taught.
    6. Snug up all six pullouts to your liking. Then stake out the two side panel pullouts, which upward pull if you like extra head and feet room (ultralight stakes are OK here).

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Lester, also nice use of the Prusik knot there — for the OP that is a good one to know.

A couple of handy hitches to learn are Blake’s hitch and the often-recommended Tautline hitch.

Most of the time you simply leave them tied to the guy lines and rarely or never need to re-tie them. I use Blake’s hitches on my Duplex and Hex solo tarp and they have never slipped even 1mm in windy conditions.

I like to put the loops with the hitches on the stake end of the guy line so that I’m not ‘sawing” on the tent’s grosgrain loops when adjusting tension.

The only disadvantage is that you have only half the guy line length for adjustment… they can’t be adjusted all the way to the ground like LL3s, although there are other tricks for drastically shortening the guy line length at the fixed (tent) end. And they don’t work with slick Dyneema cord.

Joshua Felts
    BPL Member

@sourpatch2016

Bellow are a couple of my first attempts pitching the Dechutes. Let me know what you think. I set it with a pole length aprx 125cm for more open ventilation.

https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipN31Fz99P2zYRC4yGXv5rxmMu7FjL3wROvp3WFE

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Lester, what length do you use for the side panel guy lines?

Cameron M
    BPL Member

@cameronm-aka-backstroke

Locale: Los Angeles

Actually 125 cm sounds quite low. If it is not a windy storm and I am trying to fit two people under the Deschutes, I push it up to 135 cm or even 140 cm.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Link doesn’t work. (For me, anyway…)

In general, if there are no wrinkles or sags you’ve got a decent pitch.   ;^)

Lester Moore
    BPL Member

@satori

Locale: Olympic Peninsula, WA

Side pullouts are 6′ long on my Deschutes, but I’d cut them a little longer if you plan to use a pole to direct the pull upward. Cut your chords longer than you think you want, then finalize the length later after you’ve dialed in your pitch.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools