Topic

Hell in much larger than a handbasket

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Environmental Issues Hell in much larger than a handbasket

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

or, another example from history is how tobacco manufacturers discovered how dangerous tobacco was but hid that information and then denied it for years.  During which period they continued selling tobacco and killing millions of people.

I have read that some of the same people that were involved with tobacco denial are involved with climate change denial today.  Like, is there a Singer?

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

My son works for GM, in the EV division. GM is going all EV except for fleet vehicles, and fast. Based on my limited interactions with about 25 of his  young engineer friends, I’d say they have some amazing talent and we will definitely all be driving great EVs in just a few years. He sent me a photo of him driving the electric Hummer, but he said it is kind of scary, because it accelerates so fast compared to the similar fuel vehicle.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Many upsides, but some downsides as well. I read an article recently about how much heavier EVs are than regular gas vehicles (quite a bit when you get into trucks and SUVs), which means crashes will be that much more destructive. The trucks and SUVs also sit higher, I think the article mentioned that they lined up something like 9 children in front of one, and the driver could not see them at all (not sure how close the vehicle was to the kids).

Here’s an Ars Technica article about the growing weight (and power).

This is not to disparage EVs at all, I’d love one of those Audi e-tron GTs, what a beautiful car!

Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Locale: Central Texas

Demand for the Ford F-150 Lightning electric pick-up built at the Louisville truck plant has been off the charts.

Virtue signaling.

I don’t think you’ll find many of those single moms fighting for a higher place in line to get a Ford Lightning. Or even a Nissan Leaf. And lets see how long it takes California to back off of 2035. California can’t eliminate their rolling blackouts now. Until battery and EV technology improve, and the electric grid is capable of handling the extra demand–let’s go nuclear–I’ll continue to happily drive my IC vehicles.

Ooooo…

This IS fun! And so easy.

Jon Fong / Flat Cat Gear
    BPL Member

@jonfong

Locale: FLAT CAT GEAR

With respect to electric car and such.  I live in Southern California.  Purchased a Mini Cooper Electric in Dec 2021: maybe 200 pounds more than a regular Mini Cooper.  Got the State and Federal rebates.  Installed Solar panels in 2022. Got the State and Federal rebates.  Net energy purchased is negative by several hundred $$$.  So happy with the electric car that I ordered an Chevy Bolt.  Will get the State and Federal rebates.  Works for me.

Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Ooooo…

This IS fun! And so easy.

I tried to go back in and edit this out. I was too late. My apologies.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Whenever someone pats their dog, it’s “virtue signaling” to all the cynics and scoffers. Ever occur to them that maybe some people actually care and are glad to do what’s right? whenever I hear this phrase, that doesn’t raise to the level of a critique–it’s a sneer masking as a critique– I hear someone saying, “everyone’s like me. I’m a bastard and only look out for myself. You all are too.”

Is it virtue signaling to feed your kids breakfast? Say hello to your neighbor? Tip the waitress? It all comes back, my friends. Come on. You must have some honest decency down there somewhere. Don’t worry! the world won’t mock you in the same way if you show it every now and then. it will do you good! Your dog will wag!

Mart
    BPL Member

@1goodpacker

Another example from history is how tobacco manufacturers discovered how dangerous tobacco was but hid that information and then denied it for years.

Jerry,

This is exactly my point. Everyone has an agenda. The government, especially. Climate studies funded by the government are more likely to support the position the government endorses. Just like studies funded by the cigarette companies found smoking to be harmless. Duh!

I wouldn’t call myself a “denier,” but I’m definitely a “skeptic.” Has there been warming over the last (fill in the blank) years? Yes! Has there been an increase in carbon dioxide emissions due to the burning of fossil fuels? Yes, again. But any legitimate scientist will tell you that correlation does not necessarily translate into causation. I just don’t yet buy the environmental “company line.” Sorry. I think the jury is still out on that one. Let’s keep the research going.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Jeff Scott I project your projection of projection. Anyone seen Tallbloke?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

BPL staff has come to the decision that it is time to lock this thread.

I’m going to remind everyone about our community guidelines and the block of text above the Submit button.

The primary problem here is sarcasm. From the guidelines:

Our vision for our community is this:  That every visitor, whether lurker or poster, will feel welcome and safe participating in a community where people respect and honor each other.

In the simplest possible terms, just be helpful, positive, and inclusive. Our company values are Objectivity, Authority, Trust, Inclusivity, and Clarity and we’ll strive to moderate to these standards.

Thanks to those of you who have made positive contributions to the thread.

Viewing 10 posts - 51 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • The topic ‘Hell in much larger than a handbasket’ is closed to new replies.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools