Topic

Are Anecdotes About "Heavy Hikers" Helpful or Harmful?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Are Anecdotes About "Heavy Hikers" Helpful or Harmful?

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Chris Alvillar
    BPL Member

@calvillar

Locale: PNW

That’s such a great example of both sides of the spectrum. I usually get really frustrated people who blast music in the backcountry. We’re obviously outside to experience the “music” of nature, not the vomit coming from your giant Bluetooth speaker. Unless it’s Sufjan Stevens, I’ll accept that.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

As long as they pack out all the heavy stuff they packed in I don’t care what people do. I packed out somebody’s abandoned 4lbs of heavy boots the other day.

Meanwhile I heard a rumor of a guy wearing full mountaineering gear–helmet, plastic mountaineering boots, ice axe, etc–in the desert on the PCT. At some point his footprints were the ones I was following. I could NOT catch that guy and I was pretty fast. Neither could another hiker I met a couple times who was doing almost 30 miles a day.

If it works and you’re having fun, then that’s all that matters. Maybe that guy just really preferred to have some beer out in the woods for a day.

Mitchell Ebbott
    Spectator

@mebbott-2

Locale: SoCal

A friend of mine tells a story about an ongoing competition with his hiking pals to sneak heavier and heavier objects into each others’ packs. Mostly food items. The winner was a watermelon—the victim didn’t even find it until the second night, because the prankster managed to sneak it out of the victim’s pack at night, store it in a stream to keep it cool, and then sneak it back into the pack while the victim was peeing the next morning.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I was going around Mt Hood and leapfrogged these two guys for a couple days

One of them told me he had put a big rock in the other’s pack as a practical joke

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

So a couple people have reported they “leap frogged” with some heavy hikers over several days. Sounds like those heavy packs aren’t that much of a burden :)

Anonymous
    Inactive

” Unless it’s Sufjan Stevens, I’ll accept that.”

I’m a fan of his too Chris.  His music has an almost ethereal quality to it more often than not.  While i don’t agree with the overall message in it (i think he is naive to the true psychopathic type), his song John Wayne Gacy Jr is one of the most haunting songs i’ve ever heard, and is on par with Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel in it’s depth and haunting beauty.

Bob Shaver
    BPL Member

@idahobob

PLEASE do not talk about things Justin doesn’t want you to talk about.  Maybe it would help if Justin posted a list of those topics he would rather not be discussed.

Chris Alvillar
    BPL Member

@calvillar

Locale: PNW

@Bob: huh?

@Justin
    : I fully agree. His music is really relatable, or at least for me, and I think that’s what I like most about it. The Age of Adz album has always been my favorite, but I actually picked up a banjo and was determined to learn all of the songs off of the Michigan album after I heard it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’ve heard some great newbie disaster stories recently on dates. One girl had to hike out by herself and move the car to a closer trailhead for her previous boyfriend. (how emasculating…)

Another group of hippies only form of water purification for a 3 day was 1 lifestraw. And they had no way to really pump it into their waterbottles. After they exhausted their initial liter of water they spent long breaks at each stream taking turns sucking up water. They B lined straight for the car.

Probably more broadly applicable. I’ve heard several trips reports from more newbie friends who went out for the weekend, and had to hike out at 3am because their (probably $20) sleeping bag wasn’t warm enough and they were freezing.

And last guy, is a good buddy of mine. He doesn’t hike but we car camp on the beach every once in a while. His sleeping pad is 2 ft high inflatable queen. It’s hilarious.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Now that I think about this “Heavy Hiker” syndrome I realize that when trying to help you must impress upon the newbie the idea on MAXIMUM COMFORTABLE WEIGHT.

In 1998 I had to deal with a Heavy Hiker on the spot at the start of a 3 day trip along Pennsylvania’s Allegheny National Forest North Country Trail. My buddy Hal and I had a lot of talking to do before Paul would leave behind the following:

1. Hitler Youth dagger (yep!)
    2. small IRON skillet!
    3. steel tent stakes
    4. 2 man surplus canvas tent (We had to convince him he could sleep in one of our 2 person tents.)
    5. Steel bowl (I lent him my Cool Whip bowl and ate from my pot.)

Remember, this was before I saw the “light” of UL backpacking. We were all using conventional gear – well, all except Paul.

So yeah, a PRE-trip gear review with a bathroom scales is important for novices.  Try like mad to keep them under 35 lbs. if they have K-Mart gear.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Now that I think about this “Heavy Hiker” syndrome I realize that when trying to help you must impress upon the newbie the idea on MAXIMUM COMFORTABLE WEIGHT.

In 1998 I had to deal with a Heavy Hiker on the spot at the start of a 3 day trip along Pennsylvania’s Allegheny National Forest North Country Trail. My buddy Hal and I had a lot of talking to do before Paul would leave behind the following:

1. Hitler Youth dagger (yep!)
    2. small IRON skillet!
    3. steel tent stakes
    4. 2 man surplus canvas tent (We had to convince him he could sleep in one of our 2 person tents.)
    5. Steel bowl (I lent him my Cool Whip bowl and ate from my pot.)

Remember, this was before I saw the “light” of UL backpacking. We were all using conventional gear – well, all except Paul.

So yeah, a PRE-trip gear review with a bathroom scales is important for novices.  Try like mad to keep them under 35 lbs. if they have K-Mart gear. And a shake-down 6 hour day hike with all gear may just make them see the “light” as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools