Topic

Heating your tent with a candle or oil lantern

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking Heating your tent with a candle or oil lantern

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

I used to always take candle lanterns in the winter.  I have a 1980s Early Winters lantern and a 1970s French lantern.  I seem to recall calculating that lightweight LED lights give more hours per weight than candles, although I don’t have the numbers handy.

But I agree the ambiance and small amount of heat from candles can’t be beat!

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Right Roger, just had a “senior moment” there and really meant to type CO poisoning.

I was a Ski Patroller for a long time and know the signs of CO poisoning. If one is solo camping you must be extremely cautious of this problem.

Another problem is partial CO poisoning where you think you’ve avoided it but actually have a CO buildup in your blood. The next day you will notice lack of strength and endurance,  varying on how much CO you inhaled the previous day. CO binds to your red blood cells, blocking their uptake of O2 and creating hypoxia when exercise begins.

Paul bayne
    BPL Member

@keyschool

When camping in snow caves, we used to light one to three tea light candles, partly for the ambient light and partly because it did something to keep the moisture levels down. I swear it felt warmer too, but that may have been placebo.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Tea candles in a snow cave: very nice light, and if you have a good exhaust hole in the roof the hot air going out it may even limit the build up of humidity. But you must keep the air vent open if there is a storm outside.

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools