Topic

Hawbuck DCF Hybrid Wallets, 5 Grams, Cottage Made In USA

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals Hawbuck DCF Hybrid Wallets, 5 Grams, Cottage Made In USA

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Matt Allen
    BPL Member

@zeroforhire

just picked up a wallet.  will be getting the travel wallet once it comes out.

Ken Thompson
    BPL Member

@here

Locale: Right there

My first new wallet in a decade. Cool.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Let me know when you release a front pocket wallet.  All I carry are 5-8 cards.

Kendel C
    BPL Member

@luckyc

I was going to suggest a front pocket wallet also. I carry 8 cards (license, credit card, bank card, insurance card, etc.) and a couple of bills folded in thirds (easier than it sounds) in a yellow Witz Surf Safe with a ranger band around it in a front pocket; high visibility, waterproof, floats, lanyard, my cards don’t get bent, but it’s not UL.

David Wiese
    BPL Member

@dtothewiese

I’m confused as I use this wallet in my front pocket…

Contains about ~8 cards and some bills at any given time.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

^same. I’m carrying it in my front pocket as well. After years of folding money into thirds I feel liberated folding only in half. The result is thinner and money is easy to access and less mangled.

Kendel C
    BPL Member

@luckyc

The Lean Wallet looks to be a quality product, constructed using cutting edge materials and techniques, capable of residing in any pocket chosen. If the plan is for additional products, there are other designs, some larger (great idea presented earlier in this thread) and some smaller. Front pocket wallet seemed as apt a description as any when I googled the phrase and looked at pictures.

Thomas V
    BPL Member

@inertiaman

You might consider a small zippered wallet/pouch in your product line.  I’ve used a ~ 4.25″ x 3.25″ zippered pouch as my wallet on bike tours for many, many years.  It is sized for a few credit cards / IDs and a modest wad of bills folded in half, but unlike a typical wallet you can also carry coins or a couple keys. Without this, I struggle to find a good place for coins/keys, especially if you’re wearing typical cycling clothing.

Wes Cox
    BPL Member

@hawbuck

Locale: Illinois

Thomas thank you for the suggestion. I appreciate the context of the keys/coins situation. As I understand it, what you are saying is even more important in Europe where coins used more frequently. I’ve been playing with the idea of doing a zipper pouch, have begun pattern development in CAD. I’ve put it on hold at the moment as I press to finish this travel wallet.

If I go through with development of a zipper pouch I want it to offer useful differences from the zipper pouches already out there. I welcome any problems that current zipper pouches fail to address, if anyone has an angle on this?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I’ll get off-topic from walletsbut here I’m a fan of zipper pouches. I have pouches from MLD, ZPacks and Litesmith. Tangential to the conversation, but I prefer Litesmith’s.

I use these for my first aid/repair kit. I carry more than many people here (about 6 or 8 ounces) and I keep downsizing the pouch as I refine my kit. I prefer a zip pouch over a ziplock/drawstring stuffsack because the opening along the long edge allows me to sort through the pouch. Ziplocks allow this functionality (particularly the wider than tall pint freezerbag size) but I find they get holes in them or the zipper fails.

Wes, you asked if anyone can identify any shortcomings with current zipper pouches. I cannot. The Litesmith version is near perfect with it’s flat bottom and taped interior. The MLD and ZPacks versions are very nice as well.

Wes Cox
    BPL Member

@hawbuck

Locale: Illinois

Matthew, thanks for those insights. That’s confirmation of my thought that there may not be much need for work in this area. I may take a pass at it eventually, but a low priority– I’d rather not compete with products that are already out there, but instead come up with new ideas.

Thomas, I do appreciate the suggestion, I may come back to this idea.

Viewing 11 posts - 26 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools